Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Accident with leaving water on - leaked behind liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Accident with leaving water on - leaked behind liner

I'm hoping someone can tell me I didn't ruin my pool. Water level was below the skimmer, so I threw a hose in it to raised it maybe 6" or so. Had planned to check it in a couple hours but totally forgot about it and it ran all night...about 10 hours.

I had done something similar before and it filled up to the top of the liner, and evidently the overflow went under the coping and apron because the lawn was saturated adjacent to the pool. But since then, I have evidently developed a hole, that has gotten bigger over the last couple months (I suppose I need to get it sealed, and was getting ready to come up with a plan for that). It is normally above the water line,up high in a corner, and the opening is about the size of a baseball. It is sort of stretched a bit off the wall there so it sort of gapes, and I can see insulation behind it.

So I wake up at 5:30 this morning and sit up straight when I remember the hose. When I went back out after sunrise, I see that the water is murky/darker and in several places there are wrinkles in the liner. At one of my lights, there are about 3 wrinkles 6" apart in half circles below it. Then also at places where wall meets floor on slope to deep end, etc...

This is my first pool, it's about 5 years old from what i'm told, and 18x36 Mountain Lake. Everyone here helped me turn it from swamp to sparkling oasis...did I ruin it now? I never, ever would have though leaving a hose on would damage a pool, but is it true?

There is literally no way to know how much water I dumped, and possibly ran behind the liner, but it might have been 6,000 gallons or even more. It has been exceedingly dry here for months with very little rain... what can I expect when I get home and in the future? Where do I go from here...I know I've got to get all my chemestry correct again...

what a pain...
    Thanks.
    Jim
    21,000 gallon Inground pool, 18 x 36 'Mountain Lake' with vinyl liner. Hayward 27", 350 lb. Sand filter. 1.5 HP Sta-rite Pump, Pentair booster pump for pressure side cleaner, Polaris 280, CompuPool CPSC-48 SWG, TFT-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Accident with leaving water on - leaked behind liner

I think I dodged a bullet. Before I left, I put 4 times as much clorox in, and pumped/backwashed it down below the level of the liner hole (which is still above the top of the skimmers. When I got home, the water looked good (way high ph, good chlorine). Plus, it appears that most if not all the wrinkles are gone. Evidently the water soaked into the earth and hydrostatic pressure in the pool evacuated the remainder. I can't tell for sure until sun is out good but I'm way better off than I thought. Learned some valuable lessons... don't overfill - fix the hole!
    21,000 gallon Inground pool, 18 x 36 'Mountain Lake' with vinyl liner. Hayward 27", 350 lb. Sand filter. 1.5 HP Sta-rite Pump, Pentair booster pump for pressure side cleaner, Polaris 280, CompuPool CPSC-48 SWG, TFT-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Accident with leaving water on - leaked behind liner

Glad things seem to be sorting themselves out! If you can post a photo of your liner hole, I bet someone here can give you some advice on how to deal with it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden