Pump overheating: too much HP for pool?

Assuming that the pumps are all uprated, here are the differences in flow rates and energy usage for the CEC Curve-A plumbing for a similar pump series:

1.0 HP Uprated: 56 GPM @ 1373 watts, 2.45 gallons/watt-hr
1.5 HP Uprated: 61 GPM @ 1680 watts, 2.18 gallons/watt-hr
2.0 HP Uprated: 64 GPM @ 1970 watts, 1.95 gallons/watt-hr

Your results will probably be different but the relative performance should be about the same. Going from 1 HP to 2 HP increases the flow rate by only 14% but energy use by 44%.

mas985 said:
Assuming that the pumps are all uprated, here are the differences in flow rates and energy usage for the CEC Curve-A plumbing for a similar pump series:

1.0 HP Uprated: 56 GPM @ 1373 watts, 2.45 gallons/watt-hr
1.5 HP Uprated: 61 GPM @ 1680 watts, 2.18 gallons/watt-hr
2.0 HP Uprated: 64 GPM @ 1970 watts, 1.95 gallons/watt-hr

Your results will probably be different but the relative performance should be about the same. Going from 1 HP to 2 HP increases the flow rate by only 14% but energy use by 44%.

Well said. I was already leery of the extra power the old pump used. No need to add to it. Living in Florida I already spend plenty of AC during the summer. Thanks Mark and everyone else who helped steer me in the right direction. I went ahead and exchanged the motor for a 1 hp/1.25 SF one. Looked newer than the others, and so far after an hour, warm to the touch and the kreepy krawly has not stopped working. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

> now deciding on whether to go to 1.5, or just go back to a 1 hp. Does a 1 vs. 1.5 make a big difference?

my .02 cents, go with a Pentair Intelliflow VF.

I've purchased over 30 years all types of pumps and have rebuilt them myself, switched motors, impellers, brushes, you name it, I've done it.

With the Pentair Intelliflow VF, I just stand back and watch the control take over as it calculates automatically what is needed and always runs at the most economical speed.

No, don't work in the pool part/repair/build/maintain industry but will tell you that while Leslie's wanted over $1700 for the pump, it can be purchased with a 3year warranty for 700 less from many other sources with a good search engine and some basic negotiation skills.

Based on the price I paid (=2 normal 1 HP pumps), it will pay for itself in less than 3 years due to lower electric costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.