Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Pool - from SPACE

1. Back To Top    #1

Your Pool - from SPACE

We built a house two years ago. For the longest time, just an empty lot appeared on Google Earth.
    Finally, it looks like the satellite made a pass over my property. From what I can tell, it looks like this was taken 6-8 weeks ago.

Lets see yours!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20'x40' / 30,000 Gal / In Ground / Vinyl
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter / Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP Pump
    Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Propane Heater / Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TF-100 Test Kit / BBB
    Creator of SimplePool (BBB Friendly Android App) http://www.simplepool.net

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Your Pool - from SPACE

Nice looking place! That's a fairly low level aircraft photo, not a satellite image. Many states that have a lot of agriculture pay for the aircraft photography.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Ha, cool idea! Here's mine. Google Earth (the stand-alone program) has a feature where you can see the same site on various dates...pretty cool. This one is from Nov. 20, 2009.

And, from May 30, 2005:
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

That's a fairly low level aircraft photo, not a satellite image
    Hmmm, interesting, would these low level aircraft images make it on to Google Earth?
    TF-100 Test Kit / BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    That's a fairly low level aircraft photo, not a satellite image.
    Google earth is satellite images, not aircraft. If they were aircraft, you couldn't zoom out like you can. Yes, satellite imagery is that good.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

A pic from google earth from my previous house:

Really amazing what satellites can do.
    1971 San Juan Fiberglass pool 12,000 gallons
    New Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    New Pentair FNS DE filter 64sq
    All 1.5" piping and no heater
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, and 2 returns

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Google earth is satellite images, not aircraft. If they were aircraft, you couldn't zoom out like you can. Yes, satellite imagery is that good.
    No, Google earth uses aircraft images when they are available. That kind of resolution comes from aircraft at only a few thousand feet.

From the Wikipedia article:

"Most land areas are covered in satellite imagery with a resolution of about 15 m per pixel. This base imagery is 30m multispectral Landsat which is pansharpened with the 15m [panchromatic] Landsat imagery. However, Google is actively replacing this base imagery with 2.5m SPOTImage imagery and several higher resolution datasets mentioned below. Some population centers are also covered by aircraft imagery (orthophotography) with several pixels per meter. "

Note that 2.5 meter resolution means you can see a car. If you can identify the model, it is an aircraft photo.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

Where'd you find that info?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    No, Google earth uses aircraft images when they are available. That kind of resolution comes from aircraft at only a few thousand feet.
    Especially the oblique shots like what vln posted (available on Bing and elsewhere). That kind of imagery may be possible from satellites (depends on how much Tom Clancy you read ), but I kinda doubt it. Too much interference from the atmosphere.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, so most are satellite, some are aircraft. Yes, the oblique pict is for sure aircraft.

Learn something new everyday.

11. Back To Top    #11

Looking at my image more closely, is see PAMAP/USGS written on the bottom.
    Googling PAMAP/USGS, I find http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/pamap/index.aspx
    This site states that PA is indeed using low level aircraft to map the entire state.
    Ya learn something new everyday!
    TF-100 Test Kit / BBB

12. Back To Top    #12

The last time the Google Earthbots were over our house was in 2004. I guess I see where we stand in the big scheme of things....no pool to show. Their loss!
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Try Bing Maps... I us it for my online clients in other states. It has a bird's eye feature that allows you to see the house form N,S,E, and W as long as they have the photos. I was even able to tell a client where their septic system was from the air. The one picture was when they were building the house and caution tape could be seen where they had put the tank in.

14. Back To Top    #14

Bing maps look really old, the view of my house is at least 4 years old, Google is up to date.
    But the Bing maps pan feature is nice
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Some of their photos are really good and others aren't so good. the good ones ar usually aroung growing communities it seems.

16. Back To Top    #16

Google Earth seems to have a function where they update areas with very old imagery if lots of people start looking at it all of a sudden.

We did a job in SE Alaska last summer in the middle of nowhere. In the planning stages, we did a lot of Google Earth-ing around the area, but the imagery wasn't good. After a few dozen people were looking at this one spot all the time, they updated the imagery, which meant we had to re-do a bunch of work! Much better results though. It could have just been a coincedence, but Google is pretty smart about such things so I suspect they were paying attention.

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

terraserver looked to be the most up to date but it's not free unless you want the image full of watermarks
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

18. Back To Top    #18

[attachment=0:ndf77ak0]GoogleEarth_Image.jpg[/attachment:ndf77ak0]
    20k gal pool/spa, marc, 2 hp pentair whisperflo, Pentair clean & clear filter, Raypack Reheem 266 heater. Taylor K2005 test kit.

19. Back To Top    #19

I work for a large Geogrpahic Information Systems (GIS) company, we were using "Google Earth" before there even was a Google.
    You'd be amazed at the amount of data that most municipalities have these days and the sophisticated ways in visualizing it.
    In our situation we have virtually every municipal and utility feature (water/sewer mains, poles, hydrants, your lot and house footprint, assessment info, meters, cables, pumps, road edges, etc etc) geographically located and sitting overtop satellite imagery.

It pretty amazing and the commercial grade software is far more powerful than Google Earth, Googles major feat is delivering something so solid to the masses that is easy to use.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

20. Back To Top    #20

Sadly, me too, and no that isn't a green painted pool -- shh, my wife hasn't seen it yet!

Roland
    28,000 gals, In Ground / Plaster, spa, cartridge filter (STA-RITE System:3, 300 sq.ft., 100 GPM max flow rate), 2 HP pump motor

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast