Wet End Replacement Needed?

Oct 14, 2009
I replaced an old 48 frame 1hp pump with an identical new pump. I took the old wet end and put it on the new motor. There is now a very slight leak coming from the wet end. I even put permatex no. 2 around the long rubber gasket to ensure the whole seal was good - a thick bead. The drip continues. Where could it be leaking from or does it need replacement?

If I have to replace it, I am having a hard time finding the part or a replacement. My pipe is 1.5", and I read that the discharge pipe diameter should measure about 2 3/8" on the wet end from end of thread to thread - my part is more like 2 3/4" diameter across the discharges. This is a hayward 1520 sp wet end and I read that hayward has non-standard parts. I cannot find a replacement, but I feel like it shouldn't be that hard to do. Any help? Thanks!!!

Exactly where is it leaking from? The joint between the volute (front) and backplate or the seal? Look very close and let us know which.

If it's not the seal then it could be a very small crack in the housing that is very hard to see when it's apart.

I did not replace the seals or o-rings - I think they are OK - I did put some of that silicon lube on them to keep them in good shape.

I looked really closely and it looks like the leak is coming out on the motor shaft. I do not believe that it is coming from the plastic casing. Perhaps I reassembled the casing and missed an o-ring? There was a white hard plastic ring inside the casing that I may have put on backwards - it has a slightly different thickness on each end. What typically keeps water sealed in at the motor's metal shaft entrance?

Thanks again!!!

A bad seal would leak along the motor shaft since that is where it seals the water. It is usually a good idea to replace the seals when taking a pump apart since they can be easily damaged taking them off the shaft.

My pump started making bearing noises. I found the wet end was leaking water along the motor shaft and had ruined the bearing at that end.

The only suggestion I got was to replace the entire pump.

I found longitudinal cracks along the impeller shaft into which the motor shaft screws. Water was leaking along the shaft before the wet end seal. I suspect you may have the same problem.

I got two new bearings for the motor ($8) and ordered a complete wet end ($65) on line. A new impeller would have been over $30. I may seal the cracked shaft on the old impeller with filled epoxy and thus have a spare wet end.

The difficult decision I had was whether to get a 3 or 4 HP wet end for my 3.7 HP (230V, 12A) motor.

Hope this helps.

Curmudgeon

350 gal Infinity using BBB

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.