Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Power cord for pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Power cord for pump

Hi again. Going on 4 weeks now without a pump. Been doing lots of internet research to find what I think will suit my needs but I have hit a snag. The pump I want does not come with a power cord. I have seen other pumps offered with 3', 6', or 25' power cords. My old pump cord has the standard 3 prong plug, but the grounding prong broke off a couple of months back, so I can't re-use it. Currently I do not have the set up or funds to hard wire a pump so I need a cord. How do I make sure I am getting the right cord for my pump? How do the cords typically connect?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Power cord for pump

Zea, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!, a day early

All you need is an extension cord with the female end cut off as to expose the wires for you to attach to the pump. (I'm not getting into gauge of wire and other things- I'll leave that for the electrical experts).

I've 'temp wired' lots of pools in the past and can tell you that, as long as you realize that the black wire goes to the brass connection and the green wire goes to the green connection all should be good for a temporary job.

Some pumps are preset to run on 220 volts, if so - follow the instructions in the motor to change it to 110.

It's pretty easy! Just be sure that all connections are good before plugging the pump in
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the birthday wishes and the information Ted, and happy birthday early to you as well! I have a healthy respect for electricity (obtained at a young age when I tried to pry a hard to remove plug from an outlet with a long metal object and got knocked across the room for my trouble) so I dont' think I'll be cutting up any extension cords anytime soon.
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

If you're not willing to "make" a cord maybe you have a friend that could do it for you. It's really easy and safe as long as you don't plug it in until you're completely done hooking it up. You do need to make sure the replacement pump is wired for the same voltage as the current one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow! Poolcenter.com is fast! I ordered my pump yesterday morning and it was on my porch this afternoon! Now I need to find a power cord...
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Wish I saw this earlier...hayward standard 3 prong 6ft cord is part # spx1250wa Poolcenter.com has it for just under $15...you can try ebay too!
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

those are usually 14awg 2/1