Power cord for pump

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Hi again. Going on 4 weeks now without a pump. Been doing lots of internet research to find what I think will suit my needs but I have hit a snag. The pump I want does not come with a power cord. I have seen other pumps offered with 3', 6', or 25' power cords. My old pump cord has the standard 3 prong plug, but the grounding prong broke off a couple of months back, so I can't re-use it. Currently I do not have the set up or funds to hard wire a pump so I need a cord. How do I make sure I am getting the right cord for my pump? How do the cords typically connect?

Zea, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!, a day early :mrgreen:

All you need is an extension cord with the female end cut off as to expose the wires for you to attach to the pump. (I'm not getting into gauge of wire and other things- I'll leave that for the electrical experts).

I've 'temp wired' lots of pools in the past and can tell you that, as long as you realize that the black wire goes to the brass connection and the green wire goes to the green connection all should be good for a temporary job.

Some pumps are preset to run on 220 volts, if so - follow the instructions in the motor to change it to 110.

It's pretty easy! Just be sure that all connections are good before plugging the pump in :hammer:

Thanks for the birthday wishes and the information Ted, and happy birthday early to you as well! I have a healthy respect for electricity (obtained at a young age when I tried to pry a hard to remove plug from an outlet with a long metal object and got knocked across the room for my trouble) so I dont' think I'll be cutting up any extension cords anytime soon.

If you're not willing to "make" a cord maybe you have a friend that could do it for you. It's really easy and safe as long as you don't plug it in until you're completely done hooking it up. You do need to make sure the replacement pump is wired for the same voltage as the current one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.