Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preventing Algae in warm weather location

1. Back To Top    #1

Roatan - Bay Islands

Preventing Algae in warm weather location

Although we are now going toward the "cold" months, I still leave in a location where cold is in the middle 70's .
    I just started a new era of my pool (thanks to this forum) using the BBB method.
    What would you suggest for algae prevention ? In the past , when I was completely illiterate and was not always attent to my clorine level, I would get algae every minute, so I guess is the warm weather and constant exposure to the sun that contributes to their growth. Should I just use Borax , and how much ? I used the pool calculator and it gives me 22 lbs to raise the borates from 0 (I am assuming it's ZERO ) to 30 .
    I still have a couple of bottle of Algaecide ( non metal ) but I just feel like my pool is finally "disintoxicated" from all the chemicals that I used in the past, that I want to keep it as chem-free as possible.
    10,000 glns bean shaped inground plaster pool - Pentair SD60 sand filter - Pentair 3/4 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Preventing Algae in warm weather location

I can only speak for my own experience, but after I put in enough borax to reach 30ppm according to the pool calculator in July, I have not had a single algae outbreak. I did try to keep my FC in range by adding bleach every other day, but sometimes I get busy and miss a couple of days. Last summer my pool would start to get cloudy right away if I let the FC drop too low for a day or two. This year I have not had that issue since July. Currently my water is 70 degrees, my pump is dead, and I have not added bleach for a week, but my water is still clear.

Bottom line: Borates help, but the best algae control is a properly chlorinated pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Preventing Algae in warm weather location

Quote Originally Posted by pakalrtb
    What would you suggest for algae prevention ?
    Quite simple...ensure you always have adequate FC a suggested by the FC/CYA chart in pool school and test your FC daily . Borates at 50ppm would be optional/added insurance.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator