Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sticky Multiport

1. Back To Top    #1

Sticky Multiport

Hi All

After a recent backwash, my multiport handle is somewhat sticky. I push the handle and rotate it to the function I want, but it will not raise back up to the proper position... causing water to run out of the waste line. I have a ball valve on my waste so I can continue to circulate, but does anyone know what I can use to lubricate the spring mechanism on the multiport?
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sticky Multiport

I'd suspect it's more than just the handle. There is an O-ring that seals the top, and that may be the source of the problem. If you pull the top off the MP, you can lube the center shaft.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks John. What kind of lubricant would you suggest?
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

4. Back To Top    #4

My MP selector failed because the SPRING rotted away.... I believe you have to pull the MP apart to visually inspect the spring on the top half. There is a spring that forces the sections to close-off, BW, Cir, etc without that spring the handle will be limp and while you can spin the handle set the preferred setting with the handle, inside the spyder gasket isn't able to seal without the pressure from the spring. For me this meant the spider gasket slid-out of place and took on a new unusable shape. I had to get a rebuild kit less than $20 that includes the spring and some washers and then a new spider gasket. I was back in-shape in no time... Good Luck!!!

http://www.poolcenter.com/_derived/part ... _valve.gif
    Kit includes parts 3,7,8, 9 - #2 the pin is how you take it apart if needed.
    My Intro Page: tfp-wanna-be-checking-in-t27499.html
    20K Gal IG Pool - Resurfaced 11/14 w/ Super Blue Diamond Brite
    I test with TF-100 and SpeedStir
    1.5Pentair / 36sq DE filter
    Polaris 380 (love this thing)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks wanna-be. The spring appears fine, but sticky. Good to know about the rebuild kit; I may need to take it on if I can't just lubricate this...

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd just use pool lube. It won't hurt the O-ring.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks again John; I'll give it a try.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

check the non-metallic bearing(white washer) under the handle for wear, replace or flip over if needed, also lube the bottom of the handle or replace it because of wear