closing questions

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
I am closing my pool for the first time and am encountering two issues:

1) I can't remove the rails or the ladder, what can I do? Is there some sort of trick?

2) the jets by the stairs seem to have a leak, since when I blow them out and plug them, air keeps coming out the sides of the jets, what can I do? should I pour a lot of anti-freeze? I guess my second question would be, what's a lot to pour?

UPDATE: Ii read to pour some water on the rails and ladder and they have removed.

Glad you figured out that water can be a REAL help with stuck rails :goodjob:

Are the step jets different from the regular returns? I suspect they may well be and need a different type of cap - any chance of a pic or 2 of them?

The more info you can give us, the better our advice will be :cheers:

ok, here is a pic of the return. Again, I want to say that this is the return by the steps. thanks

1054991062_rDLFG-M.jpg

OK, it's what I figured :angel: ( :p )

You've got a #6 plug in the venturi inlet, this won't seal the entire return.

What you want to do is unscrew the directional and throw in a #11 plug. There should be 4 prongs (NSEW) to get a grip on to unscrew it (or 2 dimples that will gladly accept a small finish nail).

BE CAREFUL! :hammer: when trying to get them out- the prongs are lightweight and will snap on you! I usually just use needle nosed pliers to torque them out, but sometimes the prongs snap off :rant:

It's not hard to rig up something which will apply even pressure to all of them, remember that they are at 90"s - IF I remember correctly, 1.5" pvc pipe will fit nicely, just notch it at 90* and you shouldn't have any trouble removing them.

DO be careful to remove and save the *neoprene* o - rings :wink: There's one inside the return, also check the orientation of them so you can reinstall them properly next spring :goodjob:

WOW that water is cold (I'm in NJ)...but thanks! You got it! :cheers: I removed the returns but I didn't see the O-rings that you are referring to and I forgot to take note how the returns were angled. so now I have two questions:

Where do the o-rings go? and since I didn't take note how the returns were angled, how much of a problem are they going to be to install next spring?

thanks again!

Always nice to help a Garden Stater (I was raised in Tenafly *please note that I did not say "grew up" * :lol: )

The o rings embed into the back of the fitting, they are almost invisible but can be pried loose with a fingernail. If you didn't remove them, they should still be there and I wouldn't worry too much about them :) It was their orientation that I was concerned with, one side is flat and the other is slightly concave to accept the round back of the jets you removed.

Have yourself a good winter! :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.