Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need the 'closing' kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

Burlington, ON, Canada

Do I need the 'closing' kit?

The pool store sells a 'closing kit', which is the same as an 'opening kit'. It has oxidizer, stain and scale preventer and algaecide. I didn't use one when I closed this year, though I have the past two years. Do I really need this kit? I did shock the pool the night before I closed. I'm not quite sure what 'oxidizer' does? Wouldn't my chlorine shock have done the same thing?

Closing for me involves dropping the water level below the lowest line (in my case the suction line for the pool cleaner), blowing and capping all the lines, draining heater, pump, filter, etc etc. and finally putting a safety cover on the pool. Usually, we have enough snow/rain between now and April to fill the pool over the top of the skimmer.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star 1HP (1.85) pump, Hayward sand filter
    Nine Fafco Sunsaver 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need the 'closing' kit?

It's not needed. Poly 60 is optional...but you can read more in Pool School on pool closing procedures
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator