Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump

I am new to this forum so I apologize if this is not in the right area.

I am thinking about buying a variable speed pool pump. My PG&E power bill is out of control (500-700 a month). I am wondering if buying a variable speed pump would help and if so what would be the best size, kind for me. My pool is 22,000 gallons and it is 5 years old. I do not have solar or a heater and don't plan on getting them.

I have the following pool pump:

Sta-Rite, 3/4 HP, KW .75, RPM 3450, model P6E6D-205L (motor model K48K2PA105C1)

I also have the following pump for the sweep:

Century Pool-Spa, 3/4 HP, 3450 RPM

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump

Welcome to TFP.

The first thing we need to know is what are your run intervals? (how many hours a day do you run each pump)

You can try running them less if you're running them a good number of hours a day.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The pool pump runs 5 hours a day right now. Maybe an hour longer or so if hot out. Sweep runs 3 hours a day. Water looks great an generally only need to add 32 oz acid each week.

4. Back To Top    #4

I hate PG&E

How much $ per KW?
    1971 San Juan Fiberglass pool 12,000 gallons
    New Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    New Pentair FNS DE filter 64sq
    All 1.5" piping and no heater
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, and 2 returns

5. Back To Top    #5

At 3/4hp ea, and 5 & 3 hours a day I doubt your pool pumps are contributing significantly to your power bill. A variable speed pump will help but not very much.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

That pump shouldn't draw more than about 1.2 kw and with 5 hours/day, that would be about 180 kwh. Even if you are in tier 4, that shouldn't be more than about $72/month for the pump. The booster maybe $40/month (~100 kwh). Sounds like you have something else which is using a lot of power. AC perhaps.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater