1. Back To Top    #1

Increasing the TA

I am just filling up my pool and these are the initial values :
    FC : 3
    CC : 0
    PH : 7.5
    TA : 50
    CYA : 0

Do I need to increase my TA ? And if this is the case, do I need to use Baking Soda or Borax , and how much ( 10k gallons ) ?
    Also, is it recommended to use an initial dose of BORAX anyhow ? How do I check for borates ? I do not see the test available in my TF 100 XL kit.

Pakal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Increasing the TA

TA can be raised with baking soda. If your PH is stable at 7.5 with TA at 50, just leave it alone. You do need to get some CYA in your water though

Borates are a nice to have, but not neccessary. I use them, but again optional. To measure borate levels you need borate test strips.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your reply. CYA is on his way up, I'll test in a week. Was thinking of some Borax as a one time dose to stabilize ph and control algae, but dunno how much to put in my 10k glns pool.
    I guess I can easily assume that my borates level is now zero.
    P_

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pakalrtb
    I guess I can easily assume that my borates level is now zero.
    P_

That's correct, unless you have added any you can assume it is zero. You can use poolcalculator.com to figure out hoe much is needed to get to 50ppm. You'll need Muratic acid as well.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator