Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time to reflect upon our TFPs and the 2010 season

1. Back To Top    #1

Time to reflect upon our TFPs and the 2010 season

Well things have certainly slowed down around the forum, so time for me to reflect on the past season. For a good majority of the TFP community, I would think we are near or in the process of shutting down our backyard paradise. That said, I'd like to thank Jason and Dave and the rest of the TFP gang for allowing me to be a mod and for providing us with such a great resource which both helps reduce pool maintenance frustration and perhaps saved us some money on such maintenance. I know it has for me and it's been a pleasure to try to assist others do the same.

That said, I have witnessed many new members join up and with a warm welcome and some solid advice, I think as a team we have done a pretty good job trying to get your pools in a TFP state

Ask yourself..."Has TFP truly helped my pool be Trouble Free?" If your answer is yes and you haven't yet done so, I urge you to become a TFP supporter as a way of saying thanks and assisting the forum grow in the future to help many other frustrated pool owners

You can read about becoming a supporter here

To the extent you are already a supporter...THANK YOU!!!

PS...this was not a paid advertisement...but I wanted to remind everyone that it costs $ to run the forum and access is free, but to the extent we've helped you save some money and you can afford to give back either by becoming a supporter or a brief testimonal, I'm sure management would greatly appreciate it...plus if I'm not mistaken, you get a discount when ordering the Tf100 from tfteskits.net

Thanks everyone and hope you had a great summer
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time to reflect upon our TFPs and the 2010 season

I second that! I quite literally couldn't have done it without TFP and its helpful crew. Here on Moloka'i, there is no pool store or pool service. (Heck, we don't even have a traffic light.) My pool arrived in boxes on a pallet at the wharf. With the help of this website, I managed to assemble it, plumb it and keep it clean and beautiful.

Thanks, everyone!
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great thread here.
    I was pool stored for two years before I found this site and have used the methods taught here exclusively this summer and let me say that my pool has never been cleaner, prettier, and more sparkly

The key is knowing what you are putting in your pool and knowing what to do when things get wacky. If there is trouble a-foot, then the fine folks here are always willing to lend a hand.

Jason et al deserve any and all support financially as well as socially to help keep this great place "afloat" . A bit of pool humor there

I became a member as soon as I started to use this forum as it was intended; yes, I was a closet lurker

Kudos and props to all the mods and special contributors for the endless ideas and information to help the regular guys and gals take control of their pools.

Here's looking toward another great season...and it can't get here quickly enough!
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

4. Back To Top    #4

What they said!! I would have been totally lost about my new pool (now over a year and a half old) without this site...unable to keep my pool healthy or troubleshoot all the little things that finally add up to BIG things. Before TFP I didn't know jack about pool water. Now I'm whippin' that pool into shape with just a small amount of time about every other day at this point. Beautiful, clean, clear, sparkly water that I know is sanitary, too.

Yes, they've generously made this info "free", but think about becoming a lifetime supporter - it's just the right thing to do if you've saved hundreds to thousands because of what you've learned here. That means... MORE BEER AND MARGARITA MONEY..WooHoo!!
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

5. Back To Top    #5

In agreement with all the posts on this thread - I discovered this site in early spring this year - I had done alot of pool research before that, but there is much conflicting information out there among "pool professionals", which can be very confusing. The TFP site is remarkably consistent (considering how many people express opinions) and the tools (CYA-chlorine chart, pool calculator) are first-rate. Anyone who hasn't contributed $ yet: think hard about how much money you have saved with the information from this site - I know I have saved hundreds of $ this summer alone, perhaps over a thousand. The return on a $30 investment is better than anything Bernie Madoff offered - and it's legit! :P

Another aspect of the site I appreciate is the positive attitude and respect the moderators and regulars have for fellow posters. I've seen many other sites where there is alot of internet "bullying" going on - even if an acknowledged expert has good information, it's difficult to accept if someone belittles, flames, or mocks those who don't agree. That's virtually absent from this site.

What did I learn this summer? Aldi's has good, cheap bleach; I need to vacuum more, especially in late summer or early fall when dry winds and leaves can kick-start algae; I don't need to check chlorine levels twice to three times every day (but it's so doggone fun! ) - unless I'm shocking the pool; I don't need to shock unless I see incipient (I love that word) algae, the water's cloudy, or the chlorine loss is great; a liquidator and pump timer would greatly simplify my life (maybe next season).

Here's looking forward to Pool Season 2011
    25 K gal, vinyl, IG, next to forest,liquid chlorine and tab chlorinator backup,55gpm sand filter,1.5hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

If it were not for TFP then my pool would be a nightmare instead of a joy! Even now, when my pump has been dead 4 weeks and my pool is full of leaves, my water is still clear. I had added borates in July and I am so glad I did! If anyone wants to build up their shoulder muscles I recommend stirring bleach in to your pool using a leaf net. It is quite a workout! Without TFP I would not know the algae preventing powers of borates and I never would have tried to stir in bleach by hand. Everyday I learn something new and I pass it along when I can. I am happy to be a lifetime supporter of TFP. Thanks for saving me time and money for 2 great summers!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Stay tuned to this thread. It will probably take me 'til Wednesday, but I'll post up something with a lot of forum info on it. Who we are, where we're going, what our goal is, etc.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

What Wednesday?
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

9. Back To Top    #9

:P
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

10. Back To Top    #10

Dave came through here in his waiting for warmer weather post
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

You know I was just commenting on another thread how much help TFP has been to us from the first month of our abg pool.

But I forgot the whole premise....Trouble Free Pool....and that is exactly what they have given us!

Thanks, jennifer
    ABG, Cornelius, 12'x24', oval, 7,700 gals, 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump, sand filter. BBB. 6-4'x10' Fafco solar panels, permanently installed on wooden ground rack, GL235 auto controller.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    What they said!! I would have been totally lost about my new pool (now over a year and a half old) without this site...unable to keep my pool healthy or troubleshoot all the little things that finally add up to BIG things. Before TFP I didn't know jack about pool water. Now I'm whippin' that pool into shape with just a small amount of time about every other day at this point. Beautiful, clean, clear, sparkly water that I know is sanitary, too.

Yes, they've generously made this info "free", but think about becoming a lifetime supporter - it's just the right thing to do if you've saved hundreds to thousands because of what you've learned here. That means... MORE BEER AND MARGARITA MONEY..WooHoo!!
    I second that. This have been a great source Kinda feels like family
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade