Okay, I give up on this SWG

imcj

May 18, 2010
I've cleaned it with the ma and with the vinegar as the manual says. I've added a little salt at a time and tested it by turning it on, but the same thing. I've now added a whole bag of salt - no, I don't know the exact number, but strips are on the way. Everything was just fine. We did get some heavy rain, but it was still fine until about 3 or 4 days later. Then suddenly every time I turn it on after about 2 minutes I'm getting "91" low salt. I started getting concerned that I could have left the ma in too long and ruined something, but this was happening before I cleaned it with ma. I'm at a loss. I'd like to get it fixed and get the water where it should be before I close the pool. I just got this in March. It really should last more than one summer. Any ideas would be most helpful.

Did I read here before that sometimes this SWG will read "91" even if it is too high? I got my salt test strips in today and that is the problem. I am way over. I guess I shouldn't have added salt when it said "91".

1) If this is true, then maybe replacing some of my water will solve the problem?

2) Am I correct in assuming that I need to get my water levels correct before closing the pool?

3) I am also assuming that I have to close the pool - I live in a hot, dry, desert area, with mild winters, but we do get an overnight freeze occasionally in January/February and I've read that can be damaging to pool parts, hoses, etc.

Thank you for answering all of my questions.

Intex was actually terrific with their customer service. I let them know the problem and they had me fill out a claim form. I faxed it on Wednesday and the new electrolytic cell was delivered today. I installed it, but I am still having the same problem. I don't know where to go from here.

The water temp right now is 66. It dropped from around 78 when all of this started during our stormy/rainy days here. What do I do if it is shutting down because of water temp? I can't warm it up. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Yes, it's actually high at a little under 4000. I read that you can go 200-500 over the recommended, and the recommended is 3000. I drained some water and am currently adding more, but I don't imagine I can get a good reading until I run the pump and do another strip tomorrow.

Yeah...if anything you should be getting a high salt error...sorry sound like cust service should step up and assist. I just picked up a spare 2009 model for $139 on ebay a month or two ago. If you google intex 91 code...you'll see they had some issues in this area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just went through this with my IC40. The way the units measure salt level is by measuring the conductivity of the water. As the temperature drops the unit thinks that the salt level is dropping when it is actually not. As I was told, these units should not be used in cold water. In order to keep the unit working you may have to approach the high end of the units salt range (4000 ppm in your case) to keep it working in low temperatures. My water temperature is about 69 F and I had to put in 3800 ppm salt to keep the unit operating without the low salt light. My plan is to turn the unit off when the temperature of the water gets close to 65 F and just put chlorine in the water through the winter. In the Spring I will turn it back on. How are you testing your salt level? These readings, even with a good test kit, can be very inaccurate. If you are using strips you may actually be at a lower salt level than you think. I recommend using the Taylor Salt kit to do the readings and even with this kit you are getting + or - 200 ppm salt readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.