Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to control Mosquito larvae on a/g pool cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to control Mosquito larvae on a/g pool cover?

I was just pumping water off of my pool cover and noticed mosquito larvae squirming around. What is the best way of controlling them? It's been warm here on the East coast.

Thanks
    19500gals 28' x 54" AGR vinyl
    3/4 hp Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter S210T
    3yrs old June 2008

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to control Mosquito larvae on a/g pool cover?

[center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

Ditto. Dunks (and Bits, if you can find them) are non-toxic to animals and very effective at controlling mosquito larvae. Recommended to me by my organic nursery.
    31000 Gal IG L-shape w/ spa, Riversand finish (PebbleSheen clone)
    Jandy 60 sq ft DE, 2.5 HP (uprated) Stealth pump, Polaris 280 w/ booster, Jandy PDA PS4 controller

4. Back To Top    #4

The donuts are what we use too. Couldn't find them at just anyplace. Did end up finding them at Tractor Supply and Farm and Fleet. They must use them around farms? Thanks for the reminder, our weather got warmer after we put the winter cover and the leaf net on and I'm going to add a few to my cover until we have our first hard freeze. Kimrst
    5 years 18' Intex Frame pool, July 2009 upgrade, 28ft rnd used Doughboy, 1hs Hayward Power Flow pump, Doughboy DE filter.TF test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Same issue here I thought it was buds from the tree til they started moving. I pumped most water off my cover and a lot of the little suckers are in the hot sun. I have maybe 1/2 inch water over 1/3 of pool. Should I drop dunks in that little amount? What about sprays? My cover is intact it did not split like last year, but I don't want to risk contaminating my pool with chemicals. God I hope the suckers aren't under the cover I am probably 2 weeks out from opening maybe 3 been cold here at night in the 30's so I have held off.
    thanks
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, I'd go with dunks. They shouldn't effect anything else, just kill off the mosquito larvae.
    http://www.mosquitodunks.com/mosquito/
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]