Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Above Ground Pool Inground

1. Back To Top    #1

Above Ground Pool Inground

So I was offered a free pool from some of my parents friends and I got this great idea to dig a hole and install it mostly inground. My wife wasn't so sure but I was confident that I could make it work. I dug the hole just before hurricane season and sure enough, it holds water! Perfect, now I just have to wait for it to dry and take the pieces of pool and put it all together in the hole. Well after a year (yeah my wife wasn't happy) all of the planets began line up and I'm finally moving forward with this install. I have pics and will upload them later but right now I have a question about the pump and filter.

My pump and filter will be about 12 ft from the pool and just above the height of the pool. I'm using hard plumbing one center main drain and a skimmer. I have valves to use just the main, just the skimmer or both; valves to run through the filter or bypass it and one exhaust port(?). With the pump and filter being higher than the pool will I have any problems with back flow? Do I need any special valves or take any certain precautions with the placement of the plumbing?

I really look forward to everyones experienced opinions on this site and will post pics of this install from ground breaking to lounging with a cool one (even if it is next summer!). Thanks, please advise.

edit: here's how the hole looked for WAY to long!

Randy
    10400 gallon AGP (dug in), vinyl liner, 1hp Hayward pump, Hayward sand filter, Auto chlorinator (pucks), BBB method for proper pool chemistry

2. Back To Top    #2
    As long as you are reaonably close to the water level you should be able to make it work. Which pump you have starts to matter here. Many above ground pumps won't prime properly if they are above water level, while a pump designed for an in ground pool will be fine even a couple of feet above water level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

A few updated pics...

back in the corner of the yard

before the deck

I've got to figure out how to get that carpet off.

I built a deck frame using Dek-Block for the aluminum deck since the old aluminum frame was useless in this scenario. It's pretty solid now I just have to wait for the liner so I can back fill then I'll attach the deck to the pool.

Found out about my pump/filter:
    Pump - Sta-Rite P2R, 1 HP
    Filter - Hayward S200 with Vari-Flow Multi-Port Valve(?)

Is this set up going to be strong enough to move the water about 12 feet to the pool?

I was planning on using a Main Drain in addition to the skimmer but after reading here and on the other pool site (that I can't register with) I've decided that's a risk not worth taking so no main, just the skimmer.

I have more questions of course, I just can't think of it all right now. More to follow!

Thanks,
    Randy
    10400 gallon AGP (dug in), vinyl liner, 1hp Hayward pump, Hayward sand filter, Auto chlorinator (pucks), BBB method for proper pool chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4
    im not an expert but, my 1.5 hp pump is 115' away from the closet return, i have an inground, but you have made yours and inground, just as long as you are using an inground pump i dont think it would patter thats its above the water.

5. Back To Top    #5

RT, thats what I'm thinking too. From what I hear the only probs I may have will be priming so, we'll see.