Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover: what to do with it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover: what to do with it?

I've got a big solar cover and a rocky roller. I've rolled the clean cover on the roller and wrapped it with a tarp but what should I do for winter? I was thinking of removing the ends of the roller to protect them from winter (storing them in shed) and leaving the cover + tube on the deck all winter. Would that be the way to go?

Thanks
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover: what to do with it?

I roll mine up like you did, cover it with a winter cover, and wrap each end ( casters, handle and all) up in a tarp. I leave mine on the end of the deck all winter. Snow gets so deep you cant see the reel. This spring, I unwrapped it and all was well.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

We had the exact same storage question. Last year we rigged up a contraption to suspend it from our garage ceiling. Too hard to get up and down. What do you use as a "winter cover"?
    Canadian Pool newbie!
    Kidney-shaped 16x32, in-ground, SWG, vinyl liner, 20,000 gal [approx. 75,000 L]
    Hayward "Super Pump" 1 HP; Hayward Sand Filter (flow rate 200 L/min [53 G/min]); Zodiac Clearwater LM2 SWG; Jandy heater
    Full sun from 7 am to 7 pm, no trees
    Three young kids aged 5 and under ~~ heavy bather "loads" and lotsa coaching about peeing in the TOILET!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Redbull
    What do you use as a "winter cover"?
    They sell them on poolcenter.com

http://store.poolcenter.com/shared/Stor ... =143568545
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

We had the exact same storage question. Last year we rigged up a contraption to suspend it from our garage ceiling. Too hard to get up and down. What do you use as a "winter cover"?
    On my solar blanket? A cheap tarp that I cut to fit and sealed with duct tape. Far from a waterproof seal but it should keep most of it out..
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mart242
    What do you use as a "winter cover"?
    On my solar blanket? A cheap tarp that I cut to fit and sealed with duct tape. Far from a waterproof seal but it should keep most of it out..
    Thanks! We'll give it a whirl this year...
    Canadian Pool newbie!
    Kidney-shaped 16x32, in-ground, SWG, vinyl liner, 20,000 gal [approx. 75,000 L]
    Hayward "Super Pump" 1 HP; Hayward Sand Filter (flow rate 200 L/min [53 G/min]); Zodiac Clearwater LM2 SWG; Jandy heater
    Full sun from 7 am to 7 pm, no trees
    Three young kids aged 5 and under ~~ heavy bather "loads" and lotsa coaching about peeing in the TOILET!

7. Back To Top    #7

I've been a lurker on this wonderful site for over a year now and finally seeking advice I didn't find anywhere here.

I recently purchased a 16mil clear cover with reel for my in-ground pool. What should I cover it with when rolled up in the sun? I've had trouble finding white plastic sheeting that my father used to protect the pool cover when I was a kid. I picked up an all-purpose UV-protected 5.5mil blue plastic tarp from Home Depot, but my rolled-up cover still cooks underneath that tarp so think I really need white to reflect the sun's radiant heat. I live near Sacramento, California where the temps commonly reach around 100F during the summer.

Is white plastic best? What about using white cotton fabric sheets? Where to buy them?

Thanks!
    13,500 gallon in-ground 30'x15' kidney shaped plaster pool, Swimpure Plus 40K SWG, Pentair variable speed pump, Polaris crawler, solar panels

8. Back To Top    #8

White will definitely be best. I'd try a real painters drop cloth (not the cheap plastic kind).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit