Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poor quality replaster; contr'tr says can't acid wash 2x

1. Back To Top    #1

Poor quality replaster; contr'tr says can't acid wash 2x

Our contractor started replastering at the end of April. The replaster completed in May. Everyone agreed it wasn't a good job. A few weeks of an acid bath (no circulation, however), didn't improve things much.

Contractor sub-bed out an acid wash, and the guys did a partial acid wash (pool was empty). The streaks from this is part of the problem. This occurred in June.

Results after the work was complete, after an acid bath (no circulation however), and a partial acid wash are shown in photos if I've loaded them correctly. Plaster shows uneven color, strike marks, stains, and splotches.

The subcontractor told our contractor that they can't do another acid wash because this would affect integrity of the plaster and it’s adhesion.

I can't see how adhesion is an issue. If the plaster was installed correctly, it's hard to understand how its integrity would be affected.

As an experiment, I tried some of Jack's miracle stuff (for copper and calcium deposits) and the proper color came out. The difference is like the attached photo of the shelf near the spa but the color difference in that photo was from the guys leaning on the shelf (rag in hand) while acid washing. (vignette: the guys doing the acid wash had NO hand, eye, face, or breathing protection. Tsk, Tsk)

I'm thinking Jack's will do what we need (and we won't have to worry about plaster on our patio pavers, driveway, and lawn). Or, is the subcontractor correct about the adhesion and integrity of the new plaster and we need to replaster?

What say y'all?

AJGIII
    Attached Images Attached Images
    30K gallon, inground w/integral spa, blue/gray plaster; Pentair Intelliflo pump, D.E. filter, Ultraflow UV generator, Hayward tab chlorinator, Polaris 360, Raypak propane

"As long as you are in the seat...Make a Difference"
    ---Captain James T. Kirk, circa 2293

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Poor quality replaster; contr'tr says can't acid wash 2x

Horrible HORRIBLE job. Do you still have payments to make? I would demand a replaster and if they don't, take them to court.
    1971 San Juan Fiberglass pool 12,000 gallons
    New Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    New Pentair FNS DE filter 64sq
    All 1.5" piping and no heater
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, and 2 returns

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response, however, my question was is why is a replaster needed?

Why not use the Jack's Magic "Copper and Scale Stuff" since it worked on the shelf (see photo below).

J.
    30K gallon, inground w/integral spa, blue/gray plaster; Pentair Intelliflo pump, D.E. filter, Ultraflow UV generator, Hayward tab chlorinator, Polaris 360, Raypak propane

"As long as you are in the seat...Make a Difference"
    ---Captain James T. Kirk, circa 2293

4. Back To Top    #4

It is worth a replaster because your not supposed to have to use a 3rd party product to get rid of stains that weren't supposed to be there.
    1971 San Juan Fiberglass pool 12,000 gallons
    New Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    New Pentair FNS DE filter 64sq
    All 1.5" piping and no heater
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, and 2 returns