Murky water at opening...anyway to prevent this at closing?

Sep 25, 2008
Schwenksville, PA
I am a newer pool owner. The past 2 years, I had the pool company close my pool. I am thinking about closing the pool myself this year. The past 2 openings, the water was dirty. I have a solid cover, but I also have a rock wall which has slight gaps between it and the cover. I end up with leaves and worms in the pool come spring. Is there anything I can add or do to prevent (or at least lessen) the murkiness?

Also, my pump sits up about 3 feet higher than the pool. How would one blow out the line to the drain AND add antifreeze?

Thanks.

Disconnect the pump. Connect the blower into the pipe going to the skimmer. Blow the line. Plug the skimmer's entrance.
The same can be done for your returns. If you have more than one skimmer/return, plug them as they bubble out. This will cause the air blown to need another exit, blowing another line along, until they're all blown.

I doubt you need antifreeze. If you wanna play safe and add any anyways you still can. Winterize the pump by bringing it inside a shed or garage during the winter, the Sand filter by removing it's plug and letting it drain (bend it over and put a plank or something under) and post with other auxiliary systems (chlorine feeder, nature2, saltwater chlorine generator...) you have so we can provide further insight.

For your other problems:
- I'm sorry, I do not know a trick to limit this ''murky pond'' effect, a bit of degreaser might ease things up at opening AND a picture would be great however.
- Stop fooling around, there is no such thing as an evil monkey in your closet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.