Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Murky water at opening...anyway to prevent this at closing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Murky water at opening...anyway to prevent this at closing?

I am a newer pool owner. The past 2 years, I had the pool company close my pool. I am thinking about closing the pool myself this year. The past 2 openings, the water was dirty. I have a solid cover, but I also have a rock wall which has slight gaps between it and the cover. I end up with leaves and worms in the pool come spring. Is there anything I can add or do to prevent (or at least lessen) the murkiness?

Also, my pump sits up about 3 feet higher than the pool. How would one blow out the line to the drain AND add antifreeze?

Thanks.
    Equipment, etc.
    30,000g IG Quartz
    Goldline Aqua Logic SWG
    Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter
    AquaComfort Heat Pump
    Hayward Phantom Turbo Cleaner
    Taylor K-2006 & K-1766
    Procrastination is the key to flexibility.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Murky water at opening...anyway to prevent this at closing?

Disconnect the pump. Connect the blower into the pipe going to the skimmer. Blow the line. Plug the skimmer's entrance.
    The same can be done for your returns. If you have more than one skimmer/return, plug them as they bubble out. This will cause the air blown to need another exit, blowing another line along, until they're all blown.

I doubt you need antifreeze. If you wanna play safe and add any anyways you still can. Winterize the pump by bringing it inside a shed or garage during the winter, the Sand filter by removing it's plug and letting it drain (bend it over and put a plank or something under) and post with other auxiliary systems (chlorine feeder, nature2, saltwater chlorine generator...) you have so we can provide further insight.

For your other problems:
    - I'm sorry, I do not know a trick to limit this ''murky pond'' effect, a bit of degreaser might ease things up at opening AND a picture would be great however.
    - Stop fooling around, there is no such thing as an evil monkey in your closet.
    Pool: None, and All.
    ''What's really interesting is finding some way to explain some technical concepts with simple terms so that everyone might understand, to vulgarize.'' CaOCL2

3. Back To Top    #3

** Also, put your Sand Filter on the function ''winterize'' to protect the diverter ''gasket'' inside it. If you don't have that function, leave it in between two functions.
    Pool: None, and All.
    ''What's really interesting is finding some way to explain some technical concepts with simple terms so that everyone might understand, to vulgarize.'' CaOCL2

4. Back To Top    #4

My equipment is in my signature:

30,000g IG Quartz
    Goldline Aqua Logic SWG
    AquaComfort Heat Pump

The pool company never disconnected my pump. Is this just added insurance?

Thanks again.
    Equipment, etc.
    30,000g IG Quartz
    Goldline Aqua Logic SWG
    AquaComfort Heat Pump
    Hayward Phantom Turbo Cleaner
    Taylor K-2006 & K-1766
    Procrastination is the key to flexibility.

5. Back To Top    #5

You dont need to disconnect the pump. I would blow the lines from the equipment pad. Do a search on TFP and you will find a lot of info.

Check out these threads

blowing-lines-and-adding-antifreeze-t27228.html

blowing-out-the-skimmers-on-igp-blowing-from-the-pump-t26692.html
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.