Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining the pool & Algae removal...

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining the pool & Algae removal...

I am new to this forum, and I am glad to have found it! It looks like a great resource!

I have had my pool 3 years now and I am battling high calcium levels along with mustard algae. The average life of pool water here in Las Vegas is approximately 3 years. So instead of fighting the algae problem, I am hoping I can drain the pool and battle it with no water.

Is there anything special I need to do when draining the water, to remove the algae? will the dry air end up killing it? I am expecting to get in the pool with a pressure washer and wash everything, lights, equipment, etc.

Any advice?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Draining the pool & Algae removal...

Welcome to TFP.

The pressure washer with some chlorine in it will take care of it. I wouldn't recommend using it on a vinyl liner.

If you'd rather not drain the water, R/O (reverse osmosis) treatment might be available in your area. It's worth checking into.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I have an in ground plaster pool with pebblesheen finish. So no vinyl to worry about. Hooking up a power washer with chlorine is a good idea.

4. Back To Top    #4

Vegasvec, talk to simicrintz, he will be in Las Vegas next week. He might be able to help you!