Is this stuff ok?

dockramer

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2009
I sent my wife to the pool store to get polyquat algaecide and they sold her this stuff call Sea/Gard Winter Chemical and told her this is the best stuff for winter instead of polyquat. It has 3.5% Copper Dulfate and 2.5% N-Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride and .01% Dialkyl Methlyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride.

Stupidly, I put it in the pool without checking or asking.

Am I ok with this? Presumably, I don't need to also add algaecide.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions

well it has copper in it and most people on here are going to tell you that metals can lead to staining. I use an algaecide 60 aka Poly(oxyethylene) (dimethylimino) ethylene (dimethylimino) ethylene dichloride 60%. But I only use this chemical if it's a mesh / safety cover. If you have a tarp cover that is in relative good condition keeping the fc level at it's ideal level when covering will be all you need.

...this is the best stuff for winter...
Probably 'best' profit margin for the store.

Copper actually will work as an algaecide, but I believe that the levels you need to be effective are high enough to stain pools and hair. We advocate stopping and preventing algae via the use of chlorine, but if you need an algaecide, your best bet is polyquat.

Maybe, given that you're closing, it should just be OK for the winter. I'll defer to someone with more metal experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.