Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need recommendations for solar cover with bubbles that last

1. Back To Top    #1

Need recommendations for solar cover with bubbles that last

After two covers from the same vendor (they replaced 1st for free) in four months I again need a new solar cover. The bubbles in these have collapsed leaving only a narrow ridge around bubble perimeter. Cover sinks below surface and doesn't heat much. Claimed 12 mil thickness though thinner than that everywhere I measure with a micrometer.
    My chlorine levels are low, if anything, and cover is on the pool about 99% of the time (sadly ).

So, any recommendations for a clear, solar cover that lasts? Anyone had good experience with Midwest Canvas covers lasting?
    Let me emphasize that by "lasts" I mean the bubbles stay inflated, airtight and float.
    Thanks so much!
    ~29K gal, 20'x36' rectangular, outdoor IG plaster, built in '74. Intelliflo VF; Sta-rite system 3 w/300sq ft. Liquidator 8Gal-3/8ug; Polaris 380 sweep & PB4 booster. Equip. is in shed on ground level pad.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need recommendations for solar cover with bubbles that last

I had a 12 mil clear cover from this company which lasted me a little over 3 years but I didn't use it continuously. This year I got a blue 8 mil version and it is definitely thinner and more easily damaged but seems to be still fairly good quality. Time will tell on this one but it has lasted at least this season and should be able to use it next season.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    I had a 12 mil clear cover from this company which lasted me a little over 3 years but I didn't use it continuously. This year I got a blue 8 mil version and it is definitely thinner and more easily damaged but seems to be still fairly good quality. Time will tell on this one but it has lasted at least this season and should be able to use it next season.
    Hi Mark.
    So your cover's bubbles are still airtight and not collapsed?
    Why did you change vendors?
    Thanks!
    ~29K gal, 20'x36' rectangular, outdoor IG plaster, built in '74. Intelliflo VF; Sta-rite system 3 w/300sq ft. Liquidator 8Gal-3/8ug; Polaris 380 sweep & PB4 booster. Equip. is in shed on ground level pad.

4. Back To Top    #4

I didn't change vendors. I bought my new cover from the same company. I just decided to try a lighter cover to see if it was easier to handle and it is but at the expense of duribility. The bubbles seem to be holding up ok with just a few that have broken but that was my fault for pulling over the deck. After this cover I may decide to go back to 12 mil because it is a little tougher. Also, the salt residue from my SWG is not as noticable on a clear cover as it is a blue cover.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    I didn't change vendors. I bought my new cover from the same company. I just decided to try a lighter cover to see if it was easier to handle and it is but at the expense of duribility. The bubbles seem to be holding up ok with just a few that have broken but that was my fault for pulling over the deck. After this cover I may decide to go back to 12 mil because it is a little tougher. Also, the salt residue from my SWG is not as noticable on a clear cover as it is a blue cover.
    Sorry re the vendors. I didn't read carefully enough. Glad to hear your cover is holding up. Mine had a few bubbles that were NOT broken
    Do you cover your cover (weird) when off the water?
    Thanks again.

6. Back To Top    #6

No, I don't cover it but it is up against the fence on the north side so somewhat protected from the direct sun.
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

Anybody else have a decent experience with their solar blanket, pool cover?
    Thanks!