Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this calcium scaling?

1. Back To Top    #1

East Texas

Is this calcium scaling?

New pool: filled in July. Salt water. I've been having his issue for some time now. I get this white ring on the flagstone edge of my tanning ledge and along the rocks in my waterfall and on the rock ledge. The white stuff occurs at or above the water line and I see none on my pool tile or on the flagstone or rocks that are in the water.

Pretty much since the pool opened, I've been having to add about 40-48oz of MA every other day to keep the pH down; if I miss a day of testing and let it go 3 days, pH is always going to be over 7.8. My TA is 90, and my CH is 210.

Is this white stuff calcium buildup? If so, how do I get it off and how do I keep it from coming back? and Finally, is this adding of MA every other day normal??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    22,700 gallon, 16x38 rectangular gunite pool with midnight blue quartz plaster, SWG (Intellichlor IC40), Pentair VS pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter, lakefront property

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this calcium scaling?

Yes, keep your PH around 7.2 - 7.4

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Maybe its' just your rocks melting from all the heat we've had in East Texas this summer and lack of rain! But yes, that's what it looks like.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Yes. And I bet your coffeemaker, showerhead, and shower tile all have a similar crust.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!