Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Disappearing Leak Miracle

1. Back To Top    #1

New York, Texas

Disappearing Leak Miracle

My new pool has been service for about 3 months and has always had a fairly substantial leak at the bottom of the skimmers inn the overflow basin ... I was never able to find the exact location of the leak ... the leak has now suddenly disappeared ... the only thing different that I can think of is that my CH started at 0 and I have now brought it up to 250 ... is it possible that the calcium addition somehow stopped the leak or is that merely coincidence ???
    40K gal rectangular IG Gunite ... white plaster ... 20 ft negative edge ... 2 Intelliflo VF 3050 pumps ... 2 Sta-Rite Cartridge filters ... IC60 SWG ... Pentair Thermaflo heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Disappearing Leak Miracle

Adding calcium shouldn't have had anything to do with stopping the leak. However if you had gotten the CSI high enough to cause calcium scaling it could have built up in the leak and plugged it. That is a very long shot though and with a CH of only 250 I highly doubt that happening.

I suspect that either some settling has occured and closed the hole or some silt got in there and plugged it up. Kinda like radiator stop leak works. I wouldn't trust that it's permanently fixed though, as it could break loose and start leaking again at any time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit