Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best thing to clean tiles on an indoor pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Best thing to clean tiles on an indoor pool?

Anyone have some experience with keeping tiles looking nice and clean? I'm trying to find a better product to clean the tiles around my indoor pool rooms with. I get daily white marks across all the tiles, likely from calcium or possibly salt, but I can't seem to get them to dissipate much. I mop, scrub, use a variety of cleaners, but they mostly never disappear. Worse, in the low spots and near drains, I get a lot of very thick scale build-up - but its so smooth I can't scrape it off.

The only thing I've seen do anything really noticable as far as reducing the thick buildups and actually removing the marks on the tiles is half diluted muriatic acid... but I think it was also destroying the grout (only tried it once). Most of the commercial tile cleaning products out there seem to be phosphoric acid based, or similar, and require mopping at least one more time with a separate, neutralizing cleaner to neutralize the acid left behind. Not my first choice!

Any suggestions on what else to try? I've been using a cleaner that is roughly 10% "sulfamic acid" and 10% "hydroxyacetic acid", but it is not doing a very good job.

I don't know what else to do.
    * Responsible for the operation of 21 semi-private pools and spas at 11 locations, varying from 1,900L to 20,000L spas and from 13,000L to 200,000L pools.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best thing to clean tiles on an indoor pool?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton
    Anyone have some experience with keeping tiles looking nice and clean? I'm trying to find a better product to clean the tiles around my indoor pool rooms with. I get daily white marks across all the tiles, likely from calcium or possibly salt, but I can't seem to get them to dissipate much. I mop, scrub, use a variety of cleaners, but they mostly never disappear. Worse, in the low spots and near drains, I get a lot of very thick scale build-up - but its so smooth I can't scrape it off.

The only thing I've seen do anything really noticable as far as reducing the thick buildups and actually removing the marks on the tiles is half diluted muriatic acid... but I think it was also destroying the grout (only tried it once). Most of the commercial tile cleaning products out there seem to be phosphoric acid based, or similar, and require mopping at least one more time with a separate, neutralizing cleaner to neutralize the acid left behind. Not my first choice!

Any suggestions on what else to try? I've been using a cleaner that is roughly 10% "sulfamic acid" and 10% "hydroxyacetic acid", but it is not doing a very good job.

I don't know what else to do.
    Muriatic acid in a spray bottle diluted 5:1 works great. If it keeps coming back, it sounds like your Ph/TA is too high. Can you post full test results? Have you run your numbers through the pool calculator?
    17,000 Gallon plaster pool. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE Filter. 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump converted to dual speed. CircuPool RJ45. Skimmer, floor drain, two returns.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Numbers are fairly normal; CSI for all three locations I'm working at come in between -0.1 and 0.05. pH around 7.6, Alk around 100, no Cya, 3200ppm salt, etc.
    * Responsible for the operation of 21 semi-private pools and spas at 11 locations, varying from 1,900L to 20,000L spas and from 13,000L to 200,000L pools.

4. Back To Top    #4

With a salt pool you really really need to maintain 70-90 ppm CYA.
    1971 San Juan Fiberglass pool 12,000 gallons
    New Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    New Pentair FNS DE filter 64sq
    All 1.5" piping and no heater
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, and 2 returns

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by vln
    With a salt pool you really really need to maintain 70-90 ppm CYA.
    For an indoor pool?
    25k gal vinyl AquaRite T-15

6. Back To Top    #6

It would still be good to maintain some CYA at least.
    1971 San Juan Fiberglass pool 12,000 gallons
    New Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    New Pentair FNS DE filter 64sq
    All 1.5" piping and no heater
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, and 2 returns

7. Back To Top    #7

I've used "Biodex 300" tile cleaner on several pools with very, very good results. Use a BBQ grill plastic scubber and some elbow grease when using it and you should be happy.
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)