Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where is a good place to purchase a new pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where is a good place to purchase a new pump?

Need to buy a new pump

I have about an 18k gal. inground with a spa and it’s time for a new pump. Last year I replaced the motor but I believe that the pump should be replaced. Since it spent a few minutes running without water, it has been getting louder and louder and now it sounds like it wants to be put to sleep. It’s been running year round for almost 5 years so I’m OK with it especially since it had that no water moment.

It’s a 1.5 hp 110 vac which I believe is about as big as I can get at 110vac.

So, any recommendations to where I can purchase a new pump?
    Aprox 30' X 18' Free Form Shot - Crete In Ground
    Pool, Spa, Sunshelf, 8800 Gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo Vairable Speed Pump
    Pentair 150 Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Ultra Temp Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where is a good place to purchase a new pump?

I think you can go with a 1 HP pump. It will keep slightly cooler as well since it draws less amps from the 110 volt line.

I would go with a Whisperflow or possibly a 2 speed Pump. I really really love my 1 hp Whisperflow.

I don't know much about hayward, but I hear the super pump is pretty good as well. Do you have 1.5 or 2 inch plumbing?
    1971 San Juan Fiberglass pool 12,000 gallons
    New Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    New Pentair FNS DE filter 64sq
    All 1.5" piping and no heater
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, and 2 returns

3. Back To Top    #3

I recently was on the fence with replacing my whole pump or just swapping the motor out (the end goal was to have a two-speed pump). At the time, Google was showing that http://www.poolgeek.com had the Whisperflow I was interested in cheaper than anyone else. I've had good experiences with them in the past and would have bought the pump from them if I had gone that route. Instead, I ended up just replacing the motor and took a chance on http://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com. The transaction was fine -- they sent an email with the UPS tracking number when it shipped and the correct motor showed up at my house about 5 working days later.

Please keep in mind that my experience with them is based on one transaction.

Good luck with the pump!
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by vln
    I think you can go with a 1 HP pump. It will keep slightly cooler as well since it draws less amps from the 110 volt line.

I would go with a Whisperflow or possibly a 2 speed Pump. I really really love my 1 hp Whisperflow.

I don't know much about hayward, but I hear the super pump is pretty good as well. Do you have 1.5 or 2 inch plumbing?

I have 2". I'll look for that Whisperflow.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gordiec
    I recently was on the fence with replacing my whole pump or just swapping the motor out (the end goal was to have a two-speed pump). At the time, Google was showing that http://www.poolgeek.com had the Whisperflow I was interested in cheaper than anyone else. I've had good experiences with them in the past and would have bought the pump from them if I had gone that route. Instead, I ended up just replacing the motor and took a chance on http://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com. The transaction was fine -- they sent an email with the UPS tracking number when it shipped and the correct motor showed up at my house about 5 working days later.

Please keep in mind that my experience with them is based on one transaction.

Good luck with the pump!
    Thanks for the lead, I'll check them out. I wouldn't mind also checking out a TFP forum vendor if there is such a thing.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you look on the bottom of the board index page you will find the category for Lifetime Supporters. There are links to vendors that have offers for Lifetime Supporters.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!