Hi, I'm new here to the forum, looking to learn a lot. We just had our pool replastered. It was filled immediately and sat for about 5 days without any chemicals. Two nights ago I added almost 3 1/2 gals of bleach (25,000 gal pool) which brought the reading up to 5-10 ppm according to my Leslie's DPD test kit. I also added enough muriatic acid to bring the reading up to about 7.8 ( I added a little more this morning to bring the ph down a little more. This morning the chlorine reading didn't register at all, the water remained clear. I'm in So. Cal. ( L.A area) and the weather has been overcast and relatively cool. What would cause a rapid drop in the chlorine level like that? I haven't determined my CYA level yet, but I'll get that tested today. Should I stick with liquid chlorine bleach or will the powdered or tablet type last longer?
Thanks for any help.