Please help to to re-assemble my Hayward DE filter!

Oct 5, 2010
Ohio
First thank for all the useful information I have already pulled from this forum as we have progressed from a couple of kiddie pools to a 12'x30" round to the current 20'x48" round.

This is an Intex pool but I was given a very old Hayward perflex EC40 filter and 3/4 hp pump.. I hooked it up and it has been working well except that the "bumping" seems to have minimal effect and a leak through the top from the bump handle shaft has been getting worse and worse.

I decided to take it apart to give the fingers a clean and to try to repair the leak. On removing the lid I found the shaft very corroded with only one washer on it :!: (no o-rings or clips or anything else). I have ordered a new shaft and the shaft assembly kit (also a new diaphragm gasket). The problem I have is that as I have no disassembly memories to work from, I am not sure how to install the new parts and put it all together. I am not really getting enough detail from the parts diagram to hep me much.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me.

Gasczar, welcome to TFP!!

If you find yourself needing a little help on replacing the washers, 'E" clips and bump shaft o-rings, just let me know :) I'm about to log off but should be back 4- 5 PM eastern and will certainly 'talk/ walk you through it' :cool:

We'll see what's going on then :cheers:

Thanks for the offers, I figured out from the parts diagram how it should go back together. However as I started to reassemble it I found that the center of the lower plate was broken (a whole half-dollar sized circle in the middle broke out).

I am now trying to decide whether to throw any more money at this filter. I just spent $100 dollars on parts and shipping but I have seen online that I could buy a whole new filter for a little over $200!! This is a 15 year old piece of equipment (that someone gave me)and I'm just wondering if I would be better off starting over with a new unit?

In the meantime I wanted to get the pool heated up for the kids (as we are having a little Indian Summer here in Ohio) so I put it together as best I could but put no DE in it. It is running and heating the pool back up but obviously providing no real filtering. The water is clear and clean with FC at about 5ppm, is it safe to let the kids use it for a few days without any filtering?

Glad you were able to figure it out on your own :goodjob: :cheers:

For $200, I'd jump on the new filter! - save your new, and old parts :wink:

The part you're talking about is called a 'tube sheet' and, if the lower one is missing a chunk, odds are the top one is cracked :( They should run ~ $45 a set, but, if the "E" clips have rotted out, you might well need to replace some of the bolts that hold the sheets together.

By any chance was the pool run for a few years using tri-chlor? (this is why I often found bump filters in this condition :rant: )

Congrats on diagnosing and ~fixing your old filter! :whoot:

I think you should throw the 4 lbs of DE in - some will end up in the pool, but you are still filtering out some of the debris/ etc. JMO

It's safe to let the kids in!!!!!!!! (Assuming a 'reasonable' cya level) Check the links in my sig, especially the cya vs. cl and Pool School (under 'Further reading' there you'll find my 'use and care for DE filters') Many, many questions are addressed in Pool School :wink:

Happy swims, for as long as your weather permits :party:

You may have some problems keeping the pool 100% clear (as in small particles will remain aloft in the water), but not filtering for a few days is not an health hazard.

Keep an eye on Chlorine/CYA to keep water disinfected as usual and it should be ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.