Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool closing

Want to close pool this weekend but tested yesterday after a lot of rain this week and need to shock 1.0 CC. Should I go ahead and shock tonight or wait till Wednesday so I can close this weekend with the shock being done closer to closing or shock tonight? Also have a tear about six inches across in the corner of the vinyl liner. Should I repair when I lower the water before closing. I have Myer cover. Is it necessary to drain the water that gets through the cover during the winter? It's usually quite high when I open but use that water to backwash during opening and I don't need to add. Thanks for any help.

FC 12.0
    CC 1.0
    PH 7.5
    TA 90
    CYA 70
    CH 230
    Temp 71
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool closing

I'd go ahead and shock because you don't know how long it's going to take to complete the shock process. It may only take a couple of days and it may take more, especially in colder temps. Even if you finish early all you need to do is let the FC come down a day or two then boost it right before closing.

As long as it doesn't get high enough to get over behind the liner it shouldn't matter if the level raises. Using it to backwash is a good idea.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks I'll start tonight. Where I have that tear in the liner I do see some water behind it should I vac it out with the shop-vac? Will it be a problem?
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

4. Back To Top    #4

A little water shouldn't be a problem but you don't want enough getting behind there to wash out anything.

PM Waste (Ted) and see if he'll give you advice on whether to repair the liner now or wait till the spring.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

who's PM (Waste) Ted and how do I reach him. Post a msg. to him?
    Central, VA

6. Back To Top    #6

Waste is his user name. PM is private message. Go to user control panel and there's an option to PM someone. Just put his user name in there and write him a short message and he might have time to respond. He's one of the resident vinyl liner experts.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks so much!!
    Central, VA

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a tear in the corner about 3-4 inches from the top that's 6 inches? running horizontal. The vinyl at this corner is not tight but cuts the corner if that makes any sense. The liner is about 10+ years old we are the second owners. Should I try and patch during closing this year or in the spring? I can see some water that has gone down the back of the whole can I vacuum this out? thanks for your help.

Koliver13
    Thanks for the PM to get my attention

I would patch the liner now (info in patching a liner can be found here)

I would also remove whatever water you can before doing the patch. In addition, I'd patch the back of the liner when you lowered the water to close the pool and then tack the liner back in (info on how-to here.

Are you near Richmond? If so, I might know the folks who built your pool

A patch applied both behind and on the interior surface would increase the chances of the liner lasting another 2 -5 years before needing to be replaced This puts you to a ~ normal life expectancy of a liner

I hope you know we'll always be here to help/ answer your questions
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the help. When you say patch behind I guess I would need to take the top out of the track first patch the back then put back in track and patch the front. Is this correct? I live outside of Charlottesville and second owner of pool don't know who built.
    Central, VA

10. Back To Top    #10

If the liner is too hard to get out, and back into, the receiver, skip the behind the liner patch

I was just thinking that with the water down for winterizing, it would be easier to patch the back.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)