No longer the pool girl...

Hey, poolgirl,

We all miss your presence. I'm glad to know the South has gained a couple more fine citizens.

Work on "y'all" a little bit and, remember, you don't "take" or "drive" your kids to school down here, you "carry" them!

Actually, that's more Georgia than it is is Virginia so you can work on saying "aboot" instead of "about".

Growing up in Louisiana, I always roll my eyes a little when people from VA or NC call themselves part of 'the south'....Yeah, you seceded and all that, but you get snow! :roll:

Dave, any state with "North" in it's name is just can't be part of the south :mrgreen:

I had to chuckle with the 'south' reference, Dave. I'm in Northern Virginia in Frederick county which is pretty much WVA. It doesn't feel 'southern' here , except for the friendliness of folks and the mountains. People seem really happy to have jobs here so even the checkout person at PetCo is just thrilled to death that you are buying flea preventative and you'll end up with a 10 minute conversation when you say 'I'm new here'.

I've had so many people just say 'welcome to the neighborhood' at the local restaurants and shops, that it has really mad me feel at home.

I'm sure the newness is still wearing off, but so far I'm really happy here.

poolgirl22 said:
I had to chuckle with the 'south' reference, Dave. I'm in Northern Virginia in Frederick county which is pretty much WVA. It doesn't feel 'southern' here , except for the friendliness of folks and the mountains. People seem really happy to have jobs here so even the checkout person at PetCo is just thrilled to death that you are buying flea preventative and you'll end up with a 10 minute conversation when you say 'I'm new here'.

I've had so many people just say 'welcome to the neighborhood' at the local restaurants and shops, that it has really mad me feel at home.

I'm sure the newness is still wearing off, but so far I'm really happy here.

Poolgirl...good to hear all is well. My wife has a friend who lives in VA and she keeps saying we should go and visit...my wife's dad lives in NC, we may be heading out that way in the spring...maybe we'll make the trip to VA...how is the weather for it being fall? Moving is so much fun isn't it? Good luck and glad to hear you all are happy. Enjoy your new home! :cheers:

Beave-
Our weather has been great. 30s and 40s at night then days upper 50s and 60s. Not much different than Indiana actually. The neighborhood kids are all still out till dark, which is about 515/530 now that the time changed. Being on the eastern edge of the Eastern time zone is different as it gets dark soooooo early once DST ends. It's a lot like the Eastern edge of the Central zone out your way. We were in Eastern in my part of Indiana so we were used to a little more light in the evenings than this. Around 8pm we are both trying to decide whether to go to bed or not.

Thanks for the well wishes.

poolgirl22 said:
Beave-
Our weather has been great. 30s and 40s at night then days upper 50s and 60s. Not much different than Indiana actually. The neighborhood kids are all still out till dark, which is about 515/530 now that the time changed. Being on the eastern edge of the Eastern time zone is different as it gets dark soooooo early once DST ends. It's a lot like the Eastern edge of the Central zone out your way. We were in Eastern in my part of Indiana so we were used to a little more light in the evenings than this. Around 8pm we are both trying to decide whether to go to bed or not.

Thanks for the well wishes.

yeah...you don't think about the time zones that way...in the summer up here in NW Indiana it gets dark around 8:30 8:45 but when we go up north to NW Wisconsin It doesn't get dark til 9:30 or so. I love that because it extends the fishing day.

poolgirl22 said:
Being on the eastern edge of the Eastern time zone is different as it gets dark soooooo early once DST ends. .

Well...eastern edge of the Eastern time zone is relative. Viginia isnt really the eastern edge. I live in eastern massachusetts. I'm not too far, as the crow flies, from the atlantic time zone. In eastern Mass and down east Maine, it gets dark around 4:15!

Here in Ohio where I live, it gets dark when the sun goes down. Odd, isn't it? :sunny: :cheers:

Just kiddin' with you all. In the winter, it gets dark too stinkin' early and light too stinkin' late and cold for too stinkin' long. Winter is NOT my favorite season and daylight savings time annoys me. There. Curmudgeon. Can women be curmudgeons?
How about curmudgeannes? :?:

Glad you are adjusting to Va. Poolgirl. I drive through Frederick when I am on my way to see my sister in King William, Va. Va is one gorgeous state.

Hello Friends!
Just popping in to send a shout out to all my TFP buddies. I'm missing you and my pool for sure!!!

I go pick up pool passes for the neighborhood pool today and it's with mixed emotions as you can understand. There's about 500 homes in our neighborhood...and there's all these RULES about some things like.... :cheers: poolside...

I've been asked a couple times by our HOA coordinator to serve on the pool committee but I'm hesitant. I don't do committees very well and I'm not very politically correct. And I'd be the pool management company's worst nightmare....But as I understand it, there's not really a committee as of yet...lol. So it could fall under the committee of one gets things done category. We'll see. So, I may be around and about again with a different focus.

Hope y'all are having a good time and preparing for the season. Happy Swimming!
Chris (PG22)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hope for their sake, and the sake of your kids that you do get on the pool committee.

You don't want to know about how sick the kids in my old neighborhood always got as swim team started. NOW I know it was from the pool. Our "pool committee" was one guy who didn't have a pool. No one said a word when the pool turned green as the oak catkins sank in the pool in April, since the kids didn't swim until May. No one cleaned it out for a few weeks. Then suddenly we had $7000 worth of pool filters to replace. No one even made the connection.

Yah, Anona...I'm trying to put it out of my mind...but as it gets closer, that isn't as easy.

They've hired a new management company this year as last year I guess it was not a pleasant place to be hanging out. So, I wouldn't be doing any actual maintenance or anything like that. I think it's more a representation between the residents and the HOA. Someone to keep everyone accountable. I'll talk to the lady again. Worst case is I do it this year, it's a PITA and I wash my hands of it later.

poolgirl22 said:
Yah, Anona...I'm trying to put it out of my mind...but as it gets closer, that isn't as easy.

They've hired a new management company this year as last year I guess it was not a pleasant place to be hanging out. So, I wouldn't be doing any actual maintenance or anything like that. I think it's more a representation between the residents and the HOA. Someone to keep everyone accountable. I'll talk to the lady again. Worst case is I do it this year, it's a PITA and I wash my hands of it later.

Pool Girl...All you need is your TF100 test kit...and you are good to go. They won't know what hit him. You'd probably have the cleanest public pool in the world.

You never know, it might just be the thing you're looking for to replace pool ownership. And if there are problems you can come here and then look like the pool goddess when you solve the problems. :party:

And if you are on the committee you can work on getting that pesky no :cheers: poolside rule changed. Bad Rule!

Pool opened and shocked...but it's only 48 here in NW Indiana. :grrrr:

Flotsam said:
'beave is absolutely right! :goodjob: The pool management people just knowing that you can test the pool will keep them honest. :whip:

Mike

Mike...the biggest compliment I was ever paid when my sister in law who's daughters only ever swam at the pool at "the club" swam in my pool and came out excited that they could open their eyes up under water and didn't have to have goggles on and that their suites didn't stink. Honest to God...when my sister in law said, how do you do that...I just smiled and said..."know how"...she now has a pool and follows the BBB method as I laid it out for her. Pretty cool! :party:

Thanks Beave...it's just a process and procedure like everything else. There's not a bunch of people standing in line to be on the committees so I'm not concerned at all. I see the point of HOAs believe me...it was clear when looking for housing here which neighborhoods had tight, regulated HOAs and which didn't. Ours is tight. But a total PITA with red tape to do anything.

I could write a novel on the experience with our fence. I won't bore you all with the details...but it was stuff of live stand up comedy...

poolgirl22 said:
Thanks Beave...it's just a process and procedure like everything else. There's not a bunch of people standing in line to be on the committees so I'm not concerned at all. I see the point of HOAs believe me...it was clear when looking for housing here which neighborhoods had tight, regulated HOAs and which didn't. Ours is tight. But a total PITA with red tape to do anything.

I could write a novel on the experience with our fence. I won't bore you all with the details...but it was stuff of live stand up comedy...

Hate HOAs...my sister lives in one...and she has three dogs and can't fence them in...so she had to make a dog run...but could only use decorative wrought iron fencing for the run!

Oh, we can have fences. One type/style only, which is fine, actually because they all connect together, ie, my one side is the neighbors side as well. Cost me a 6 pack and a bottle of wine for the neighbors to 'build' the one side of my fence (it was already there). So do you think that with ONE style of fence allowed, I could get immediate approval. Oh no. It's that kind of BS that gives HOAs bad rep.

I personally don't like HOAs because I maintain my property and I'd never do anything to detract from the overall appearance of the neighborhood. HOAs are for the people who would either not maintain or do silly things. It is what it is, and I'm all about resale in a few years so I'll suffer through it. Trash removal is included in our fees so we don't have that madness of people letting trash get piled up behind the house...which is nice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.