Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to find a test kit & liquid Chlorine in South Africa

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to find a test kit & liquid Chlorine in South Africa

Tomorrow I head off on a quick trip to South Africa to try and find a test kit and some other things for my pool. The only test kits I have seen before are a really simple 4 in 1 test kit. I don't even know of any dedicated pool stores in the area. If I take a water sample with me will it still be ok after about 4-6 hours in the car? Hopefully I will find what I am looking for. I have called all around and nobody sells liquid chlorine in country. They all say it is far to dangerous to use. So I called around and have found some bulk Sodium hypochlorite but the cost is prohibitive. I think my only other option is a SWG which I hope to find as well. Anybody lived in South Africa with a pool and has advice? Thanks
    16,000 gallon pool, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, solar panels, In Ground Plaster with SWG. Living in the southern hemisphere in the "cold" part of Africa in Lesotho.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to find a test kit & liquid Chlorine in South Africa

Good luck finding what you need. We were watching a show yesterday about South Africa and just happened to see an HTH carboy being used as a container so it's obviously available. That's probably the bulk chlorine you were told about. Just remember, if bulk 12.5% costs twice as much per unit as 6% it still the same price in use.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I forgot to mention that the bulk I found was only 6%. The bleach you buy in the store is listed as <3%. 25 liters of 6% bleach is about 30 dollars. I figure it might be better in the long run to just go with a SWG.
    16,000 gallon pool, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, solar panels, In Ground Plaster with SWG. Living in the southern hemisphere in the "cold" part of Africa in Lesotho.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dhulls
    I figure it might be better in the long run to just go with a SWG.
    I suspect you are right.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by dhulls
    I forgot to mention that the bulk I found was only 6%. The bleach you buy in the store is listed as <3%. 25 liters of 6% bleach is about 30 dollars. I figure it might be better in the long run to just go with a SWG.
    Although a salt water generator maybe your best option, you will still need a source of acid to keep the PH under control.
    Try looking for comercial cleaning companies, they use strong chlorine bleach (9.6%) and usually have acid available for cleaning cement off brick work or try a builders merchant for the acid.

Good luck