Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump pressure increasing rapidly

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump pressure increasing rapidly

Not sure why, but over the last few weeks, I am seeing an increase in my pool pump pressure over a matter of days instead of the normal weeks. When clean (or after a backwash) I run at about 13-14. And I can usually go 3-6 months without a backwash triggered by rising pressure to about 20. Now, I go from 13-14 to 18-20 in 2-4 days. I have recently switched to Bioguard Maintain Ecoclean DE and with a 36 filter typically use 2 scoops after a backwash to replenish. I also recently used a stronger detergent (purchased at the pool store) straight into the pump basket to loosen and breakdown any tough debris on the filter. But I am still needing to lower the pressure by backwashing atleast once a week if not more often. Any ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks for the help.
    24,400 gallon irregular shaped gunite chlorine pool
    Purex-Triton nautilus NS-36 DE filter;Pentair SM-20-2 multivalve
    MagneTek Centurion Switchless motor 1.5 HP
    Polaris

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pump pressure increasing rapidly

It sounds like your filter is simply doing it's job. From somewhere, extra debris is being brought into the filter and it is clogging and getting full very fast.

It is probably dead algae. A set of test results would help us offer further advice.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Had to backwash again today - 2 days after the last backwash. Pressure was up to around 25. I'm not in town to perform a TFtestKit full result, but will do so over the weekend. I'm wondering if I am putting in too much of the ecoclean DE. Instructions say 1 scoop per 12 sq ft of filter, so I use 2 cups which is around 80% of the normal quantity after the backwash. Any more thoughts?
    24,400 gallon irregular shaped gunite chlorine pool
    Purex-Triton nautilus NS-36 DE filter;Pentair SM-20-2 multivalve
    MagneTek Centurion Switchless motor 1.5 HP
    Polaris

4. Back To Top    #4

I imagine that it's like Duraleigh says in that you have a larger than normal debris load, or that it's time to disassemble the filter and give it a thorough cleaning. DE can get caked on internally, which reduces the available filter area making your filter act like a small DE filter.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree I think it's time to open the filter and do a thorough cleaning of the grids, even soak it. Then you'll be back to long periods between backwashes.

Good luck!
    28K IG Vinyl lined pool - 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    Hayward DE 60sqft filter; Polaris 280 vacuum with booster pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Had a similar issue with my cartridge filter last year. Someone suggested, like Duraleigh, that it might be dead algae and that if I raised my FC to the 8-10 range and held it there for a while, it might help. I was skeptical since the water looked clear but I tried it anyway... that did the trick. The filter started staying clean within a week or so.
    ----------------------
    20,500 gal gunite pool w/ PebbleTec and infloor cleaning system.
    Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter.
    Houston, TX