Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: winter cover float

1. Back To Top    #1

winter cover float

I had my pool winterized by a company but the small float under the cover they put in deflated. Simple mistake I had another on hand but it is a big 4 x 15 size float. my pool is a 27 round. I blew it up and put it in but it looks huge under the cover. the cover goes over it seemingly fine but is there an issue if the float is to big?

25,500K gallons; cartridge; IG; plaster; I'll have to look up the pump size and flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: winter cover float

No problem using that pillow in that size pool. In fact I'd suggest that size for a 27' pool. You don't have to inflate it completely for it to work.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

What size would you suggest for a 16x32 and which way would you run it?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

you know right before I put it in I said maybe I should let some air out. but I didn't

now its like I have a giant twinkie in my pool
    25,500K gallons; cartridge; IG; plaster; I'll have to look up the pump size and flow rate

5. Back To Top    #5

The size for a pillow isn't really THAT important: It is just a barrier between your cover (which will reach lower toward the middle) and the water. You do NOT want the cover to be in water as it freezes! It is way more important the pillow's put in the middle of the pool than it's size really.

When it comes to non-round pools, like Woodyp asks, the ''middle'' might be a bit larger, and thus the pillow needed. For a 16'x32' a pillow 4'x8' should do just fine. Again it is more important that it is properly tied up so it remains in the middle than its size. You do NOT want your cover at/below the water line when it freezes up.

Those pillow are, sadly, not that leakproof. You'd rather wish your pool to look like a twinkie than not having the support it needs and you'll be able to see if it is leaking air.

Hope that helped
    Pool: None, and All.
    ''What's really interesting is finding some way to explain some technical concepts with simple terms so that everyone might understand, to vulgarize.'' CaOCL2