Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing Pool/Spa Combo

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing Pool/Spa Combo

Hello Everyone,

I'm in southern PA and have a question about my pool since it's the first pool closing for me. Is there anything special or extra about closing a pool/spa combo. I have read thru the winterizing thread and feel pretty comfortable with what to do for the main inground pool. My plan is to treat the spa like a "mini pool" and close the same way as a pool. I have a one big custom cover that fits over both.

Anything extra to do?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing Pool/Spa Combo

Raised spas should be emptied, have the drains blown and plugged and then the lines. Don't forget to turn on the spa blower if so equipped. Turn it off just before sealing the last port. Refill the spa. See below.

Water bag and solid safety covers: Refill to about 6" below the tile. This allows displaced water from a snow load to rise without hitting the tile.

Mesh safety cover or Solid with mesh drains. Fill to about a foot below the tile to allow for rain and snow melt.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Scott, but how do I refill the spa after sealing off the ports and drain?
    Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

Do I refill with a garden hose because everything is sealed. I'm guessing this is the way to go.
    The guy I used last year didn't blow out the lines or plug any ports or use any antifreeze. I'm lucky everything lasted through our brutal winter.

since I don't have any experience with using the antifreeze, I was wondering what happens to all the antifreeze when I open the pool next year? I'm guessing a little bit of the water will be red for a brief period of time?

5. Back To Top    #5

If you seal the drains first, put the system in the Spa Fill mode. That will suck from the pool and fill the spa. If my recommended water levels are above the jet openings, you're going to get wet, to wit I say, SO? Pray the water is over 45 degrees. Cold water boiling from a blowing return will suck the heat from you ~10X faster than air of the same temp. 33/34 is no picnic either. I use either long shoulder gloves or a thick trash bag to keep my arms dry.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.