Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: local pool stores and BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

local pool stores and BBB

I'm very new at this. I have noticed that a few local pool stores are on to the BBB method. They made negative remarks about it. They told me, you have to take care of your pool and test your water often. We have a few people that come in to our store that acually put baking soda and 20 mule team in their pool! He said thats crazy! Those people have nothing but trouble with their water. I guess its alot like the antique buissnes. When antique road show came on the seen, it taught people what to look for. So the antique dealers no longer had the upper hand.
    18k IG 16'x32' vinyl liner Haywood S-200 high rate sand filter pump Haywood Encl.3 1hp A.O.Smith Corp

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: local pool stores and BBB

it taught people what to look for.
    That really describes BBB.....knowledge is power!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by filix
    They told me, you have to take care of your pool and test your water often.....Those people have nothing but trouble with their water.
    If you think that "testing your water often" is "nothing but trouble" then he is right.

But we think that you can test your water often and never have any trouble.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

[quote="filix"] They told me, you have to take care of your pool and test your water often.

Yea, much better to to test less often, end up w problems, then go to the PStore for an expensive fix

We have a few people that come in to our store that acually put baking soda and 20 mule team in their pool! He said thats crazy!
    11th grade chemistry
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

He's right! Why would anyone put Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) from the grocery store in their pool when he can sell you Alkalinity Increaser (Sodium Bicarbonate) instead? Why - it's just plain crazy to buy cheaper products without the fancy container and nifty graphics!

Frequent, accurate testing is more the basis of BBB than who makes the actual products you dump in. As long as you know what you're dumping in.

The last time I was in Leslie's, looking for some R-0012 reagent, which they were out of, some girl came in with a water sample. It was like a bad accident...I didn't want to listen, but there's that morbid curiosity... The counterman asked her how big the pool was. She said, "Big." A few questions later, it was determined that 30,000 gallons sounded familiar -her father knows for sure. And the water was green. Now, how can someone recommend water treatment not having a clue how much water they're treating? That's crazy. But it didn't stop the guy from starting the testing. I left before I got to see the wheelbarrow of products they had to have sold her.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!