Hello there!

JTKen

Sep 29, 2010
Central Texas
Time to join in the fun, I'm a new member who recently purchased a house with a used 1995 pool. I look forward to educating myself and soaking in as much as my pee-brain will tolerate. I'm still trying to collect stats on the pool and I need to ditch the 3-way test kit for something more informative, so my questions can be answered more thoroughly. Aside from some high TH & TA, and some severe copper deposits everything appears to be running fine, but I don't want to post results until I get a better test kit and have a store test it as well. One thing I can say is it appears the previous owner/pool cleaner thought excessive hocky-puck chlorination was the answer to everything, even if it means replacing their heater core. Anyways, it's good to find a place for pool people who like to do things for themselves and be involved in the process, take care...Jason

acroy said:
Welcome, Iv'e been a pool owner for just under a year, this site has been invaluable
read 'pool school' and git yerself a good test kit!

cheers
Thank you, I've now read the Pool School from top to bottom! Up in dallas? Are you going to close your pool this winter?

dmanb2b said:
Welcome to TFP :wave:

You will want a TF100 from TFtestkits.net or a taylor k2006. Either will do just fine :goodjob:

pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Thanks you, I wish I had figure that out before I joined the forum. I just bought one for like 30 bucks last weekend :hammer:

Butterfly said:
btw, how did you come up with the gallons (7,287) in your pool?

I called the Pool company that put in the pool, and they had that information on-hand. I have an email in to them asking for more stats, like how long will it take the pump to turnover the pool in the low/high settings so I can minimize run time.

I'm also trying to figure out if I can run my spa (only the spa) with the pump on high, without blowing something up... I've already ran it that way, before I figured out I could run the heater with the pump on low, so long as the pool was disconnected from the spa.

I try to make all my newbie mistakes all at once...