Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tax incentives for solar pool heating - true?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tax incentives for solar pool heating - true?

Hi all,
    I recently heard from an architect friend of mine (who is "green building certified," whatever that means ) that pool solar systems qualify for up to 70% tax credits. I know it depends on the area, but have any of you ever heard/experienced this? They are trying to get their HOA to install solar on the community pool, since most of the residents are too lazy to put the solar cover on.

I know that photovoltaic panels qualify for substantial tax breaks in most areas, but I've never heard of them applying to solar pool heating. After hanging around this forum for the last year or so, I thought if that was true I would have heard something about it. Thanks!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tax incentives for solar pool heating - true?

If that's the case I'll be putting in a 1:1 system tomorrow! Seriously, that would be a great incentive to add solar heating to the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    If that's the case I'll be putting in a 1:1 system tomorrow!
    Me too! I'm not getting my hopes up though.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

4. Back To Top    #4

Unless it is a state deal, all of the federal tax credits are listed here. Solar PV and Solar Hot Water (home) are listed but solar for pool is not. Here is the note for the hot water solar:

Note: The credit is not available for expenses for swimming pools or hot tubs. The water must be used in the dwelling.
    Also, looking through this site, the Arizona programs also exclude solar pool.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

They have a similar program here in Canada, except the system has to be installed by a "certified" solar heating contractor of which there is scant few listed in my area and the rebate wouldn't even begin to cover their labor and unreal list price markup on the products. I felt the program was really a make work program for the dealers with nearly no benefit to the home owner because you would be paying list price for everything under the program, I sourced the same solar tube panels I was interested in from the mfg for 1/4 the list price including delivery!

Pretty disappointing.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

6. Back To Top    #6

Mas985, thanks for the link.

Looks like pool solar actually is eligible for a tax credit (Residential Solar and Wind Energy Systems Tax Credit) of 25% of the system cost, up to $1000. Non-residential credit is 10% of the system cost, up to $25,000. All sales tax is also refunded (Solar and Wind Equipment Sales Tax Exemption). This is for Arizona only. Installation cost is included in system cost.

Not quite enough to make me jump out and do it, but certainly worth pointing out for those who may be considering installing solar in Arizona.