Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noob question when it comes to pool sweeps

1. Back To Top    #1

Noob question when it comes to pool sweeps

Hello all, I just came across this forum board... looks like a lot of great information.

Ok here is my situation... I grew up with a pool and one of my chores was to maintain the pool, so I am not an expert, but I do know my way around them.

I have a huge Redwood tree in my backyard that is consistiantly dropping debris in the pool. I spend a HUGE amount of time vacuming the pool and it is taking away from "play time" with my kids . I am at a point where I want to get a pool sweep.

Now I have been reading doing some reading. Being that I have a fiberglass pool I was thinking that I would need a Pressure Vacume Cleaner but on the other hand I do not have a booster pump installed on the pool?

So I am kind of stuck... I am looking for a set up that would not break the bank but would be very functional... Are there any suggestions
    IG
    Fiberglass
    35,000 Gal
    Cartridge
    Flow rate on filter coming soon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noob question when it comes to pool sweeps

Welcome to TFP

I'm not an expert on IG pool cleaning units, but have you considered a stand alone unit (robot) such as those offered by aquabot? I would think a good quality unit would run around $500 and can run independently of your pool filter system.

I use a pool rover jr on our agp and love not having to vaccum
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

The Pool Cleaner gets good reviews from users here, and it doesn't require a booster pump.

BTW, these guys are members here, and they sell them...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the Welcome and the heads up!!!

Looks like I have more research to do...
    IG
    Fiberglass
    35,000 Gal
    Cartridge

5. Back To Top    #5

Is it debris you can skim off the top before it sinks?
    If so, do a search for PoolSkim to see what others say, I like mine!
    Here is their info:
    PoolSkim ph 630-665-8790, http://www.poolskimusa.com/;
    http://ellerbach.com/Pool/PoolSkim/
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Most of the time I can skim the pool and get rid of the majority of the debris actually a lot of it ends up I'm the skimmer basket but there always seems to be a good amount that makes its way to the bottom of the pool before I can get it out. So it is a consistant problem.
    But I will check out the link you provided... thank you!
    IG
    Fiberglass
    35,000 Gal
    Cartridge

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a lot of tree debris as well: leaves, acorns, twigs
    PoolSkim is well regarded for better skimming action than just the standard in-wall skimmer
    I own a 'pooldevil' http://www.pooldevil.net/ which is similar in concept, different in execution, and costs $30. Helps a LOT.

I currently own a suction side 'kreepy-crawly' type pool vac but looking to go to pressure-side cleaner with a seperate bag for the big debris

best of luck! read up and do searches on the forum, lots of great advice.
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    The Pool Cleaner gets good reviews from users here, and it doesn't require a booster pump.

BTW, these guys are members here, and they sell them...
    What does this thing do with large debris? My friends have a Polaris with a leaf bag on it. This doesn't appear to do the same?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Both polaris and "Poolvergnuegen" make both pressure and suction side cleaners
    Generally, suction side just vacuum into the pool pump, while pressure side have a leaf bag.
    i am close to buying one of the 'Poolvergnuegen' pressure side models with a leaf bag

Cheers
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Left Coast
    I have a huge Redwood tree in my backyard that is consistiantly dropping debris in the pool.

Being that I have a fiberglass pool
    Suction side pool sweeps and redwood trees do not mix well. A pressure side pool sweep would do best.

Since you also have a fiberglass pool, a polaris 280 would work best since it has a longer wheel base so it grips and travels better over the slicker fiberglass surface compared to a 380. Now with that being said, any decent size redwood branch would interfere with any pool sweep.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac
    Quote Originally Posted by Left Coast
    I have a huge Redwood tree in my backyard that is consistiantly dropping debris in the pool.

Being that I have a fiberglass pool
    Suction side pool sweeps and redwood trees do not mix well. A pressure side pool sweep would do best.

Since you also have a fiberglass pool, a polaris 280 would work best since it has a longer wheel base so it grips and travels better over the slicker fiberglass surface compared to a 380. Now with that being said, any decent size redwood branch would interfere with any pool sweep.
    I figured the larger branches (Well large twigs) would cause a problem, and sometimes they are mixed in with the debris. I guess I will just have to deal with it.
    A question on the polaris 280 or 380, that would require a booster pump?
    IG
    Fiberglass
    35,000 Gal
    Cartridge

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Yes you will need a booster pump.

Here is a good story for you that's right up your alley.

We picked up a new client today that has a fiberglass pool. Leslies sold him a Polaris 3900. The 3900 is of the same design as the Polaris 380/360...shorter wheel base. This 3900 was not cleaning the pool; as a matter of fact, it was not doing much of anything. So the PO took it back to Leslies to see if something was wrong wiit it. Leslies said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

The PO paid $1000 for the 3900 (not including the booster pump). We installed a Polaris 280 and it is flying around the pool doing its job. You do not have to spend more to get more, you just have to talk to the right people.