Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining below skimmers. No bottom drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Rochester, NY

Draining below skimmers. No bottom drain

We're having the pool closed on Monday and the pool company asked to have the water drained 2" below the skimmer. We have 2 skimmers, 3 eyeball returns and 2 bottom diffuser returns. We are donning the loop-loc cover and removing the hardware ourselves to save some money. Any special tricks in getting the water level down without using a submersible pump? I was thinking of attaching the vacuum hose to one skimmer, diverting the flow to that skimmer and draining that way. I was also thinking of using some rubber tape to help with the seal between the vacuum hose and the plate that goes into the skimmer. Any help would be appreciated.
    20000 gal IG freeform, vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair 2 speed pump, Pentair Intellitouch controller, Pentair Heat Pump. Built 2008

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Draining below skimmers. No bottom drain

You don't need any help with that! You've already got it figured out. That's exactly how I'd do it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

One trick I like to use is to hook up your vac and then simply run water from a garden hose into the skimmer. This will prevent it losing vacuum and sucking air.

Good luck.

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Sounds like you've got it covered

If you start loosing prime, you can do as Jack recommends and if that doesn't work ask us for other tips

Fall is a sad time around here as the members close up their pools!

I hope to see y'all around here over the winter
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)