Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any alternatives to water tubes/bags

1. Back To Top    #1

Any alternatives to water tubes/bags

Does anyone have any good alternatives to using water tubes or water bags? I have seen a product called aquablocks.

I also saw someone suggest 5 gallon buckets of water. Just wondering if anyone had any other ideas?
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Any alternatives to water tubes/bags

Bleach jugs filled with water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'

The 'aquablocks' are terrible! They don't hold enough water and are a real PITA to move!

Bleach bottles are OK, but it takes a LOT of them to properly do the job.

Oh yeah, water tubes also TRULY suck!

I had one pool owner, irregular pool, who home-rigged some 1" PVC pipe filled with sand. He had the 90*s, 45*s and couplings all set (he numbered the pieces and had a diagram). I think he sealed the ends with a glob of silicon caulk, once the sand was in. This system, used with a solid tarp, worked great! This guy was one of the customers i never dreaded going to see or work on his pool!
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Charlotte, NC

He just laid it on the plastic? No rolling it under etc?
    1 inch w sand was heavy enough? You guys get plenty of wind, no?

I'm considering a tarp on top of my safety mesh cover because so much debris goes through & I read about all the guys opening w clear water when they use a solid cover.

But if I don't put some slack in the plastic the plastic will tear if we get snow & it sinks (as designed) w the mesh cover, right? Any comments appreciated.
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sand Bags - Sand tubes

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

Buckets filled with water are nice because if they get dragged into the pool they wont be hard to get out of the pool unlike sand bags
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

7. Back To Top    #7

Central Kentucky

I know you are talking about inground. But for my above ground, I secured the cover with shrink wrap. It works by keeping the wind from blowing up the cover.
    Intek 15' diameter X 4'deep 4,800 gallon AG beginner pool, updated with a Hayward sand filter, 60GPM pump. TF-50 Test Kit. Upgraded to TK-100