Replastering? How much money are we talking here?

Replastering cost varies quite a bit by area, so you may be on your own finding out. It also depends on the condition of the existing plaster and the shell and the size of the pool, and if any tile work needs to be done. I'd say figure at least $5000, and it could easily go $10-12,000.

John's numbers are good. It does depend on the perimeter footage of the pool, depth, if there is a spa, and surface chosen. An average pool and spa in my area would run around 5K for white plaster only.

I'm in the market for a resurface too... I painted 3yrs ago and a few (too many) fault areas have reappeared. Not that I fault the paint in these areas as it appears the 'pool' is failing.

Note: Paint is only a 12 month band-aid. 24 months and had the classic blue feet. My whole pool and deck are due for a refresh.

The paint project cost me $700 if i recall.... Being in FL - I hope to get a better deal than $5K for plaster. I'm just getting it back in the swing of things... I may have a leak... This is day 2 of shock...

Not to mention I want to plumb for the Polaris...
QUESTION: I have a CareTaker system... I want to remove the heads, fill with crete, and have the new surface cover the area. Any feedback on that?
608b0c9b.jpg

0f3e4723.jpg

I may re-plaster in a few yrs & am considering pepple tech because it lasts longer so in the long run about the same money but less "re-make" hassels.
I think they guarantee the peppletech for 20yr? Is that true & is my thinking sound re pepple tech being a better choice in the long run?

P-Tec is indeed very long lasting, but they do not have a 20 year warranty. I don't know anyone who does (Wet Edge has a pretty funny 15 year warranty, where they don't really warranty anything!), so check with the source instead of the salesman!

I have P-Sheen, and it is going on 9 years old now. The smaller rock (as opposed to P-Tec), in my opinion, makes for a denser finish, and has less plaster exposure. That should be the longest lasting finish. The last I checked, God only made so many rocks and then He quit! I'm thinking the rocks ain't going anywhere (I run some remodel leads for the Gemstone owner here, and he is considering a one million year warranty on the Gemstone finish, but it applies to only the rocks!), so more is better. The smaller rock just lays down tighter, so I prefer it over the larger rock.

Proper water chemistry still plays a huge part in life expectancy. If you allow the plaster that holds the rock in place to be compromised, you will have problems, just as you will with any other finish. If you go with P-Tec, take care of it and it will take good care of you!

It cost me $6,300.00 for a re-plaster w/Florida Gem. So far it has only been a week since the pool has been filled but things are starting to look good. The also replaced a bunch of cracked tile and repaired the leaks.
My pool was about 25 years old and was leaking like a sieve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guamgal - You are probably looking at a nice bit of change to get it done properly since you are in Guam. I'm sure someone has a cousin (& btw - it seems everyone is related - a friend at my wife's work remarked that it was almost impossible to date there) who can do it on the side but you should make sure you do everything in writing. BTW: I was stationed there 89-92.

Recommend you keep the kid - you'll need the tax deduction.

Melt In The Sun said:
[quote="TFP_wanna_be":1cit15a4]QUESTION: I have a CareTaker system... I want to remove the heads, fill with crete, and have the new surface cover the area. Any feedback on that?
I think that would work just fine. Do you have wall returns to circulate the water after the caretaker is gone?[/quote:1cit15a4]

yes thank you! I have two returns. 1 in the shallow and the other is in the deep end pointing to the skimmer. Thanks again!!!

Hope to get some quotes soon - I'm ready to make it happen!!!

WOW - I paid $6700 in Central FL for prep w/ bondkote, Diamond Brite, tile removal and new tile. Patched a few holes and exposed rebar. Also retooled the leak on the skimmer box... I didnt price shop - in general I got 2 quotes... I went with the contractor that was most responsive. I tried to get more quotes, but people would not call me back... If I had it to do again, I would press harder may see how far my dollar can stretch knowing is wham-bam-see-you-later-3-day project...

16x32 8.5" diving pool - took almost 60bags of DB...

TFP_wanna_be said:
WOW - I paid $6700 in Central FL for prep w/ bondkote, Diamond Brite, tile removal and new tile. Patched a few holes and exposed rebar. Also retooled the leak on the skimmer box... I didnt price shop - in general I got 2 quotes... I went with the contractor that was most responsive. I tried to get more quotes, but people would not call me back... If I had it to do again, I would press harder may see how far my dollar can stretch knowing is wham-bam-see-you-later-3-day project...

16x32 8.5" diving pool - took almost 60bags of DB...

You gotta remember that you may not be comparing apples to apples here. susa may (not saying he did!) have got a "pool guy who has a buddy who knows how to plaster" that did the work. May have been a "cash job", and by guys with no insurance or workers comp. I see these guys picking up "plasterers" and "trowelers" all the time at Home Depot. I would not consider those guys legitimate, not would I expect the best work (or a warranty, let alone a return call if you called with a problem).

Your price sounds good. As for the time frame, there is no reason to prolong the work. Properly done work, by a well trained crew, goes pretty quickly. They get paid for the knowledge and experience, and not for how long it takes :-D

Sounds like you used a reputable contractor. I hope you both are happy with the end product and get many, many years of life out of your pools :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.