Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My sand filter won't filter fine silt and pollen!

1. Back To Top    #1

My sand filter won't filter fine silt and pollen!

Hello,
    I have fine silt and pollen collecting mostly along the seams of my liner. I have passed the overnight FC test. When I add a little DE my PSI will jump up by 10 in about an hour. When I turn the pump on I notice sand shooting out the returns for a couple seconds.

If I take the filter apart what am I looking for? What are some reasons my filter is not filtering?
    It was working fine last year before I had a o-ring replaced. Its four years old and a hayward 200s
    sand filter. Thanks for any advice

CYA 30
    CH 60
    TA90
    FC 5
    CC 0
    TC 5
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My sand filter won't filter fine silt and pollen!

One of four possibilities: Where the up-pipe and multiport meet, cracked up pipe, cracked lateral, loose mating of the top and bottom halves of the multiport. That may be caused by a worn spider gasket or return spring. Have you been turning off the pump before moving the multiport?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply!! Yes I shut the pump off before I move the multiport, which is not that often just when back washing. The cracks I assume would be obvious to see, what about the matting? Is that something you can tell by looking at it? Or do you need to know what you are looking for?

I was thinking of having a look after I drain the filter and close the pool. Is that as good as time as any? Thanks for your help!!
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

4. Back To Top    #4

The multiport should be pretty tight to the pipe. You'll feel it having friction where it meets the pipe once the retaining collar is removed.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.