What kind of algae do I have?

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
I let FC drop to zero for 24 hrs and then brought it up to 6, but noticed I could not keep it there. Water temps are still 89-90. Dove in with snorkel and mask and found 1 little algae plant on a seat. It was a yellow tuft, but more like a miniature fern than a cotton ball. It had a stem and roots into the plaster. Probably 1/4" high. Any idea what kind of algae this is?

Well, I kind of knew that. Just did not know if this was mustard or something else.

Interestingly, some people do want algae. My PB has black algae and says he likes it. Told me that it goes well with the rock theme of his pool. Of course, his idea of shocking is to push the little button on the SWG for "superchlor", so he probably has no choice but to keep it around.

This doesn't sound like regular yellow/mustard algae that is more like a powder that likes shade and isn't attached to the walls. It doesn't sound like regular green algae either though it's closer to that than anything else -- it could be just a filamentous form of green algae rather than the clumpy kind. The algae could be thin enough that the green chlorophyll looks yellowish because it is so thin/pale.

That one little plant isn't causing your FC to drop that much -- you instead have nascent algae growth throughout your pool that isn't yet visible. The earlier you shock to kill it off, the easier it will be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.