Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What kind of algae do I have?

1. Back To Top    #1

What kind of algae do I have?

I let FC drop to zero for 24 hrs and then brought it up to 6, but noticed I could not keep it there. Water temps are still 89-90. Dove in with snorkel and mask and found 1 little algae plant on a seat. It was a yellow tuft, but more like a miniature fern than a cotton ball. It had a stem and roots into the plaster. Probably 1/4" high. Any idea what kind of algae this is?
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What kind of algae do I have?

You have the kind you don't want.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, I kind of knew that. Just did not know if this was mustard or something else.

Interestingly, some people do want algae. My PB has black algae and says he likes it. Told me that it goes well with the rock theme of his pool. Of course, his idea of shocking is to push the little button on the SWG for "superchlor", so he probably has no choice but to keep it around.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

4. Back To Top    #4

This doesn't sound like regular yellow/mustard algae that is more like a powder that likes shade and isn't attached to the walls. It doesn't sound like regular green algae either though it's closer to that than anything else -- it could be just a filamentous form of green algae rather than the clumpy kind. The algae could be thin enough that the green chlorophyll looks yellowish because it is so thin/pale.

That one little plant isn't causing your FC to drop that much -- you instead have nascent algae growth throughout your pool that isn't yet visible. The earlier you shock to kill it off, the easier it will be.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

@ lborne, I know you knew that. I just couldn't resist.

As for the builder, he's just too lazy/busy to deal with it.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.