Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete deck - Should I be worried? (w/pics)

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete deck - Should I be worried? (w/pics)

The builder poured my concrete deck last week and there's a couple things I've noticed and I'm wondering if I should start worrying about it or just sit back and relax.

The first is the color of one or two sections of the deck. One section (and part of another) seems to be slightly darker in color than the rest. It looks like one entire slab and half of another is a shade darker than the rest. See the picture below:

My other issue in on that same dark slab there's something that looks like a hairline crack. This is the only slab that I've noticed any sort of flaw. In the shot above you can see a dark line going from the edge to the middle part of the slab. The photos below show a close up:

What does anyone think? The crack? The color?

Thanks!
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete deck - Should I be worried? (w/pics)

Was that particular section poured first or last?

That crack shouldn't be there this early but it's really nothing to stress about. I would bring it to the builders attention and ask about it. Maybe suggest a several year written warranty in the event it cracks all the way across and becomes out of level, if they don't feel it warrants replacement now.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thats what concrete does, it cracks and can have a different colors here and there. Not much you can do about it. It's just how the material behaves.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree settlement, shrinkage is a usual thing with concrete. If it doesnt get any worse you'll be fine.
    4' X 6' depth 10.3 k IG Gunite w/blue diamond brite interior finish. Pentair 1.5 HP pump, Goldline salt system, 300,000 btu Pentair gas heater, Pentair FNS DE filter, blower for in pool bench spa jets, floor sweep/cleaning system, bird cage covering, highly filtered well water.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice folks!
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat