Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hi salt

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

hi salt

Split off topic posts from this topic where it could be continued if the parties desire. Bama

Hey guys, just curious...

When this guy has an obvious problem with his cell, why do you want him to list a full set of chem readings, when the sensor in the cell is the problem? I realize you want all the info you can get, but its kinda like the guy who has an oil leak in his car and the mechanic wants to know how much gas is in the tank. Sure the water chemistry can be causing the calcium build up, but countering that condition wont help that he has a problem with the cell. I see that NJ did recommend looking at the cell, but it seems that there is always a request for the chem values no matter what the problem seems to be.

I'm not picking on you guys, as i see this everywhere on the forum. I think i service my share of these things, and usually don't need more chem reading than the salt reading in the pool with my tester, to help fix a high salt, cell, or sensor problem.

I figure, first help him get the unit going, then, if he wants to, talk about chem levels, and how to avoid this (if possible) in the future.

Again, not looking for a flaming, just curious.

"Just a clown talking... ignore him."
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hi salt

No Worries PC...you know we are crazy about test results and yes they are requested in the attached link...but I was after his pool details...specifically size/volume. This is actually one of the few times I did not bombard the OP about test results and needing a test kit

It may be the unit, but how can the reading go from 2200 (lo) to a Hi Salt with 2 40lb bags of salt?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Again, I'm not sure why the above comments warranted your previous comments.
    I will try to explain, which comments?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown
    Hey guys, just curious...

When this guy has an obvious problem with his cell, why do you want him to list a full set of chem readings, when the sensor in the cell is the problem? I realize you want all the info you can get, but its kinda like the guy who has an oil leak in his car and the mechanic wants to know how much gas is in the tank. Sure the water chemistry can be causing the calcium build up, but countering that condition wont help that he has a problem with the cell.
    Not that we asked for a full set of results, anywhere in this thread, other than it is in the link, I don't understand why you feel water chemistry is as irrelevant as "the guy who has an oil leak in his car and the mechanic wants to know how much gas is in the tank."?

You state it may be calcium build up, for which a sensor or cell can be cleaned, how will you confirm that with just a salt reading? Yes, countering that condition wont help that he has a problem with the cell, but it sure could help diagnose the cause. Ph and CH readings IMHO would help diagnose calcium build up.

Also, since the cell is not operating correctly, what's the harm in confirming FC is in range to ensure that on top of the cell issue, the OP can hopefully avoid a green pool too? Most folks forget that besides using their SWG they can chlornate via alternate means
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

My thoughts are pretty scattered here, my apologies...

Taken from:
    pool-school/read_before_you_post

"When starting a thread asking for help with a specific issue please include the following in your initial post:

Test Results! Test Results! Test Results!

There is nothing more important than current valid test results. Here's what we need."

NJ asked for additional chem levels, and you referred the above link. I realize you didn't write this , but you did refer it.

I never said the chem results were irrelevant as the guy with the oil leak, and didn't mean to imply that. My point was that, perhaps if he didn't have to go back to his pool, or back to the pool store to get chem levels, it would be that much quicker that he could get some help (from us) if he didn't need to do that first.

Sometimes doing that is an all day errand (in rural areas).

Maybe that link could be "tweaked" a little to say, i don't know, maybe something about non related to water chemistry? (I know that statement may get people here stirred up, not my intent.)

As stated here, i'm not looking to argue about this, was just curious about the need to list chem values for any problem, compared to just helping with the problem at hand, in a timely manner. I do realize that we need chem results, but not for everything. I look at that link, it implys for everything, although it does look like that (thread) may have been written for water chemistry problems only. I don't know.

Caught Ohm Boy's post before i finished here.

If a pool was clear, then because of the Chlorine generator failing, the pool turns green, would you really need the chem levels before you shock, vacuum, and diagnose the generator? Don't mean to sound big headed, but i wouldn't, not till i got the pool clear, and unit working again, would i need to see levels. Even then, if i knew levels were good before all this happened, i may not.

6. Back To Top    #6

OK guys, this has gotten far enough away from the original topic. If you can provide help to the OP then please feel free to post it otherwise please refrain from off topic posts from here on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I though we had, and we are just amusing our selfs while we wait for a reply. Is there a problem with this healthy discussion?

No one is getting mad,
    no one is getting abusive,
    no one is getting picked on.

As soon as the poster gets his chem levels to us, we will continue with his diagnosis.
    I agree sometimes discussions need to be stopped, but i don't feel this is one of them. I think this discussion is being productive. And i don't think this is too far off topic. Since we are talking about something that TFP requests in (all) new threads.

We are playing nice, promise.