Bad FNS Plus Filter Guage?

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I have seen where gauges can go bad and only read ZERO. But is it possible for a pressure guage to go bad and never read correctly? My guage has seemed to be stuck on 16 lbs all summer long. My filter is a DE filter and I have only backwashed once which was back in June. Since early June the filter has continued to read 16 lbs which is one lb over the backwash reading.

I can't believe that it has never raised since last year i had to backwash probably 3-4 times. The guage will drop back to zero and also drop to around 10 when the pool slide is on. I also think that there seems to be a little bit less pressure at the returns but maybe it is just my imagination?

Can a pressure gauge be bad and give you a false reading?

Yes a pressure gauge can move but give a false reading. Usually you can tell if there's something wrong because it won't go back to zero when the pump is off.

It sounds like you're just not building pressure and the gauge is operating correctly. My gauge barely moves at all until right before it's time to backwash. If your pool is relatively clean then it could go several months before needing backwashing. Having said that it won't hurt anything to go ahead and backwash it.

I wonder if the lack of backwashing need this year is due to switching to a vacuum external of the filtration system? My pool is fairly small and normally i can vacuum everything with my pool blaster which has it's own bag. Regardless I think you are right because my guage does go to zero when off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.