Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time closing

1. Back To Top    #1

First time closing

Just one question: Why do we spend all of this time, effort and money on chemicals to bring it to shock level only so we can cover it, turn the pump off and let it turn green again?
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time closing

If you wait until the water temp is consistently below 50 and open the pool when it reaches about 70, usually you will not develop algae over the winter months. Closing too soon and/or opening too late are usually the cause of finding a green pool even if you did everything else correctly. If you think you may need to close early and/or late then you may want to add the polyquat 60 or some borates to deter algae growth.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Having your water below 70 is fine to close. If you bring your chlorine/Bromine levels up high enough and everything else balanced, drain down your pool to winter level then do a non chlorine shock wait 30 mins/ add your stain prevent wait 30/ then add your 60% algaecide. Then put on your cover. I have used this method for 12yrs closing customer pools & every one of them has been crystal clear in the spring. The point of the cover Black side down is to prevent sunlight from breaking down the chems and keeping out debris. My reason for adding the chems after is basically your wasting money & chems by doing the other suggested method.
    I can always find something to fix on your "perfect" pool

4. Back To Top    #4

All you need is to bring the chlorine to shock level based on your CYA and maybe some poly 60 if you want. Adding anything else in those "closing kits" like MPS or stain remover is a waste of money.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If your pool is at shock level when you add other chems they are basically rendered useless.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder
    If your pool is at shock level when you add other chems they are basically rendered useless.
    Care to elaborate? Which chems are rendered useless?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ditto what BK said! Care to eleaborate on how raising chlorine levels renders all other pool chems useless?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I think 60 degrees is better than 70. In Canada once it gets 70 it probably stays or lower. Down here, 70 can go higher quite likely.
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

To elaborate, would you put algaecide in your pool just after you shocked it?? At break point chlorination levels how effective would any chem be being added after. Which is why I use the method stated in the previous post.

10. Back To Top    #10

If you bring your chlorine/Bromine levels up high enough and everything else balanced, drain down your pool to winter level then do a non chlorine shock wait 30 mins/ add your stain prevent wait 30/ then add your 60% algaecide.
    Won't the non chlorine shock continue to oxidize the contents of the pool even after 1 hour?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

To elaborate, would you put algaecide in your pool just after you shocked it?? At break point chlorination levels how effective would any chem be being added after. Which is why I use the method stated in the previous post.
    I still dont understand what your saying. What does "breakpoint chlorination" have to do with anything? Are you just talking about chlorine potentially breaking down the poly 60?

Quote Originally Posted by zea3

Won't the non chlorine shock continue to oxidize the contents of the pool even after 1 hour?
    Yep. No need to add MPS. Yes, high chlorine will chew up sequesterant and vice versa. You could add an EDTA based chelator, but over the winter, its not that useful to do, it wont last. One/is better off adding bleach to shock levels based on the CYA and close it down. Thats why all those closing kits are a waste of money and make the pool store rich.
    Pathfinder, you will find the folks on TFP are really knowledgeable about pools. There's not much the collective members here do not know. When anyone makes statements that cant be backed up and squared with the knowledge on this site, people question it.

I also saw your sig line. My pool is perfect, as are most on the site. What could you find wrong?

12. Back To Top    #12

I noticed his sig line too. Sounds just like a pool store; We'll find something to sell you whether you need it or not!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit