Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid + Vinyl Liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid + Vinyl Liner?

So, our pH is high (8.2+) and so is our TA (120). Pool Calc says to add MA, so I'm ready to buy some. DH goes on a pool store web site that says MA is not for vinyl liners. If not MA, than what? I can't seem to find that same info here, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Can someone advise? Also, we are getting ready to close, so have the FC up at 15 for an overnight test. I read somewhere else on this site to wait til the FC drops below 10 to trust the pH test, so I am sort of in limbo right now. Thoughts? Thanks in advance--every time I come here I get excellent help!
    Christina
    40x22, 25,000 gallons; vinyl; DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic Acid + Vinyl Liner?

You can use MA with a vinyl liner. Just make sure you pour the acid in front of a return in order to disperse it fairly quickly. You dont want to pour it directly on the liner so make sure you pour it away from the very edge.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

What he said.

If you have a plastic bucket lying around, scoop up some water from the pool, measure and add your acid to that, then slowly pour the diluted acid in front of the return, as far as you can reach away from the edge. If you want to be even more certain that you don't create a "hot spot" with the acid, grab the brush and go to it as soon as you're done rinsing out the bucket.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a vinyl liner and use MA all the time with no issues.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

5. Back To Top    #5

Knew I could count on you guys! Thank you!
    Christina
    40x22, 25,000 gallons; vinyl; DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I use MA often in my vinyl liner pool too. Actually, I am MUCH more concerned about accidently dripping some MA on the concrete deck than I am pouring it into thousands of gallons of water.
    20'x40' / 30,000 Gal / In Ground / Vinyl
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter / Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP Pump
    Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Propane Heater / Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TF-100 Test Kit / BBB
    Creator of SimplePool (BBB Friendly Android App) http://www.simplepool.net