Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool, equipment not run - do I need to close

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool, equipment not run - do I need to close

In ground pool currently being installed, and the temperature has already dropped to end the swimming season. Can I fill the pool to just below the skimmer, not throw in any chemicals, not run the heater or salt chlorinator - and thus not have to close the pool? Essentially, once the water is in, it's closed - or is there something I should do?

fyi...in Canada and expect cold and snow.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool, equipment not run - do I need to close

You can plug the returns and skimmer before adding water and they'll be fine (*** as long as no water has entered the plumbing during the construction) A main drain would still have to be blown out and the pipe sealed while the water is bubbling.

As long as the equipment has never been run, it should be fine.

You will want to still shock the pool and probably cover it (after making sure your chems are in good shape)

What kind of pool surface will you have?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

"what kind of pool surface will you have"? I assume you mean what type of cover? Given we have no trees and will have minimal leaves falling in, I wasn't planning on covering the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Styx555
    "what kind of pool surface will you have"? I assume you mean what type of cover? Given we have no trees and will have minimal leaves falling in, I wasn't planning on covering the pool.
    He means the wall surface: plaster, vinyl, pebbletec, tile?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

got it...the surface is vinyl.

6. Back To Top    #6

The reason for asking about the surface is because curing plaster raises the pH and I wanted to give you a 'heads up' on that, had you gotten a crete pool. With a liner pool it's not an issue

Here's the way I'd handle this. The day the liner is dropped, have the pool dudes blow the lines for you before they drop the liner (the vacs they use to set the liner should have an exhaust port that can be used for this and it'd take them ~2 minutes). Since you don't want to run the pool this year, have them install the faceplates for the skimmer(s) and returns, BUT DON'T CUT THEM OUT! The liner can be cut out in the spring and there'll be NO chance of pool water getting into the lines . If you have a main drain, that has to be cut out when the liner is installed, but just have them blow out that line once the pool is full.

Congrats on the new pool Let us know how it turns out (pics are always welcome )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)