Tile waterline repair....how to and what to use???

Mar 17, 2010
Hello everyone!

Before I close the pool for winter i need to fix some waterline tiles that have came off. I purchased the house and the tiles were already fallen off. I've got matching tiles to replace so i just need to know how to do it. The backing seems to be ok just rough. So my questions is what should i be using?

I had been thinking of using this from HD for mortar:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1 ... ogId=10053

Questions are:
Should this mortar work fine?
Is there something else that i should get for mortar?
What to use as grout?

Any links, threads, or info you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

That will work fine. The "flex" type thinset material is exactly what you want to use.

Good prep is key! Clean the pool surface and leave it somewhat rough to get a good bond. I like to trowel the pool surface and "back butter" the tiles I am attaching as well. Thinset against thinset provides for strength!

Go get it done :goodjob: :goodjob:

The Home Depot thinset you linked is a good product....I've used it on my pool.

The epoxy mentioned will work well also but it will be troublesome and pricey if your job has much coverage....it's great for small areas.

The best place on the net (IMO) to ask tile questions is Johnbridge.com. Very busy site with a lot of tile experts.

Not sure what you mean by the "backing" being rough but all the old thinset needs to be ground down.

Ok great start!

So if i use thatthinset what should i be grouting with? can that thinset be used as the grout also?

Thanks for the responses... I've been looking everywhere, even your johnbridge site, but that's the problem... everyone has an opinion but who's correct?

You should not use the thinset as a grout. cement based grout are more corse in it's texture and for that reason easier to apply.

I have experience from Mapei's products and they have a three part expoxy grout that should be a little easier to work with than their resin based Kerapoxy, called opticolour. The are a few videos on youtube where you can se the routine how to apply that one. Looks pretty neat if I may say it.
If you choose a cement based grout could opticolour plus be an alternative. That is a high quality cement based grout. I got a warning though when I spoked to Mapei in sweden about that particular brand and that was that you was recomended to keep the water temp below 86 and not have any salt in the pool for that grout to be lasting. I'm not sure how important that is but that was his words.
I definately belive that an epoxy grout is to prefer in a pool but i'm not so sure if it's worth the extra work is means to apply it, atleast not the resin based epoxy. After all, the waterline is not much work to re-grout if you needs to that down the line.

Thanks for the recommendation henry! I looked up the videos and it looks perfect. Then i want to their website to find a distributor and only 2 places were listed in my area. I happened to be at my normal hardware store and they had it! So now i've got all the supplies...not just gotta do the work! hopefully within the next few weeks to close it all up for the winter.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.